Shutter / Cover Automation Idea's

Hi,

I already automated a lot of my home automation via Home Assistant.
However one topic that I can still make a lot smarter are my shutters/covers.
Now they just open at a certain time and close again at a certain time, that’s it.

I am making this post here to see if you guys have any ideas on how to make my shutters/covers smarter.

All ideas are welcome!

Hi DieterClaeys! Interesting question. As I’m currently in the same “thinking process” for a new built house with huge windows/sliding doors and also shutters, here are my thoughts:

Make opening/closing or roller shutters dependent on heat and luminosity values : You could imagine having a multisensor that reports both increased temperature and higher-than-usual luminosity which let’s the stores go down -> protect room against direct sun and therefore heat
burglar / fire alarm : Have all stores go open in case of burglar alarm or in case of fire -> will let thieves escape and opens shutters for escape routes (if you have sliding doors)

I’m out of ideas. Somebody else?
Cheers, Markus

Hey DierterClaeys,

You may already have this but I tried to make mine a little smarter than just down at sun set. I have open/close sensors on my windows. So if the Windows are open the blinds will not come down (I have roller blinds so it would turn into a giant sail). Then if it is after sunset and I close the window the blinds automatically come down. This is probably my favourite automation, it’s so cool having them come down when you close the window.

If you come up with anything cool let me know.

Cheers

1 Like

would you mind sharing it to us, please? :slight_smile:

I’ve been meaning to add a sensor to mine to sense the amount of heat coming in the window. I’m not too sure how to go about this yet, whether a DHT22 would work or not. On a hot day, I’d rather not have the blinds open if there is a lot of heat sensed at the window, to help keep it cool. This might be a project for next summer though for myself.

I have it controlling 5 blinds so I think I’ve simplified it down to 1 example. The repeated condition in the script is a redundancy. better some extra code then a broken blind.

Script

balcony01_close:
  alias: Balcony1 close
  sequence:
    - condition: state
      entity_id: binary_sensor.door_window_sensor_158d0001f39efc
      state: 'off'
    - service: cover.close_cover
      data:
        entity_id: cover.balcony01

Automation

- id: '10101010'
  alias: Balcony - Manually close windows 
  trigger:
    - platform: state
      entity_id: binary_sensor.door_window_sensor_158d0001f39efc
      to: 'off'    
      for:
        seconds: 3           
  condition:
    - condition: sun
      after: sunset
  action:
    - service_template: >
        {% if is_state('binary_sensor.door_window_sensor_158d0001f39efc', 'off') %} script.balcony01_close        
        {% endif %}
1 Like

Am I right, that you got an script and automation for each window? :thinking: