Simple Home Assistant compatible alternative to Lutron Aurora switches?

The Lutron Aurora is the perfect controller for our rental. I’ve used them successfully with the Hue Hub and recently moving to Home Assistant thought they would be easy to use as well.

I am wrong. They are pretty much the most painful thing to get working.

Are there other options for on/off and spin to dim/brighten that “just work” with Home Assistant AND have the nice ability to install over the top of traditional old-school light switches?

How have you configured them? They work mostly okay for me using Zigbee2mqtt. You can bind them directly to a light which is a bit more reliable. I have some directly bound to individual lights, and some using Node-Red

My main issue with the Aurora is how they handle dimming and the fact that if you turn off the light with Home Assistant, you need to press the Aurora’s button twice to turn it back on. That’s an issue with the device itself rather than an issue with Home Assistant. I wrote a more detailed comment about that here:

The Lutron Aurora is the only one I’ve seen, unfortunately. That’s probably why it’s so expensive - no competition that’s quite the same.