Simple remote control for Hassio?

I have been using Nexa RF power plugs and remote control for quite a long time, but as we know, RF isn’t exactly great, you might have to press button many times before the plug turns on or off etc, and since I have more reliable networks available with Hassio (I have all three: wifi, zigbee and z-wave), I thought I finally switch all my Nexa plugs with Sonoff S20 plugs so I could control them with Hassio as well (I have uploaded Tasmota on them already).

This might be a stupid question, but if I don’t want to use a phone every time to control those power plugs via Hassio UI, and want to use a separate simple remote control instead, what would be the best
simple remote for that?

It could be either wifi, zigbee or z-wave, and there would need to be on and off buttons (or one button as a toggle) for at least 4, preferably 6 different devices (I have 6 Sonoff S20’s now). But that remote would need to send commands to Hassio somehow… I have been searching the net but I haven’t found simple solution for my needs :confused:

1 Like

I did a google search for ‘zwave remote’ and one of the first things I found was a keyfob.

https://www.smarthome.com.au/fibaro-z-wave-keyfob.html

( I’m in Australia :+1: )

Its been a while since I’ve messed around with zwave but I’m pretty sure you’d be able to map the buttons to whatever you like.

Well there’s this, but it’s not simple or cheap:

Thanks for the link! I found something like this earlier with more or less the same price, but it had only four channels so this is better. But I don’t suppose anyone here has integrated that into Home Assistant? Would like to have a confirmation before I buy anything :slight_smile: I am in Europe but there are EU versions as well it seems. And at least it promises to work with almost any Z-Wave device so that’s one potential solution…

However, it would be nice if there was even a small LCD screen so you would get some input regarding what you just pressed, especially since that product supports button press sequences that can be programmed to do different things. And with only few buttons, I would expect it to be half that price… But like I said, that might be one solution anyway :slight_smile:

Wowsers ! That price is insane !! :exploding_head:

…and you still have to provide the CPU and battery ?!

Now that’s the ultimate remote all right! :open_mouth: But the price is… just wow. I guess that’s understandable though as the project is still in Kickstarter mode. But I guess that would be some sort of trophy on anyone’s livingroom table, as you could put any kind of images there etc… :slight_smile: But I wonder how often you would need to recharge it…

I think I read that battery life is a little over a day, hence the dock where it should be put most of the time.

It’s on par price-wise with what I paid for my Pronto TS9400 many years ago, but far more capable.

I’ve backed the project.

Ah yes, just read the authors comment about battery life:
"According to my testing, with wifi always on, normal use, but mostly standby, the remote lasts ~14 hours on a charge.

In the settings, you can set to turn off the wifi after some inactivity. This could help with battery life. The display brightness dims after a few seconds, then it goes to standby. In standby mode some parts of the code are disabled to save resources.

The ambient light sensor adjusts the display brightness automatically, also helping with conserving a bit of power.

The remote will send a notification if the battery is low, as well as the dock’s LED will start blinking to indicate the same.

If the battery is critically low, the remote will turn off."