SimpliSafe questions

Pretty new to Home Assistant but am loving it and the SimpliSafe integration so far. As I understand it, cameras are still a work in progress. I have a SimpliCam and would be more than happy to help anyway that I can. @bachya, if you’d like I’d even be willing to set up my camera on an account for you to access. Let me know if there’s anyway that I can help.

For those who have set up the secret alerts. Is there a way to set up a secret alert so HA is notified but not get an alert on your SimpliSafe App?

I want to set up a motion sensor inside my house to turn on certain lights if the sun is down BUT I don’t want to be alerted throughout the day on my app. Very annoying.

I asked support at SimpliSafe and they said this is not configurable at this time.

That’s unfortunate. Thanks for following up!

I’m looking into getting a Simplisafe system - can someone tell me, does this integration work without having to have an active monitoring subscription with Simplisafe? Also, looking at this thread ( SimpliSafe very unreliable as of late - Configuration - Home Assistant Community (home-assistant.io)) it seems like maybe it’s not such a great idea to go this route if even it doesn’t require one. Anyone know of anything like SimpliSafe except that works locally?

Take a look at the docs for the library that powers the Home Assistant integration: Usage — simplisafe-python 2024.01.0 documentation

The unpublished simply safe cloud API has been very flaky of late, so your mileage is going to vary. Some people are having pretty continuous problems; others, like myself, only have an issue every now and again and for the most part, it’s been fairly stable.

You can actually build a nearly complete, totally localized alarm solution all in Home Assistant (using Z-Wave/Zigbee/RF sensors); here’s an example: GitHub - nielsfaber/alarmo: Easy to use alarm system integration for Home Assistant

I say “nearly“ because it misses one crucial piece: a dispatch service. It all depends on whether you want your alarm to merely scare people away with a siren or actually call fire/police/etc.

There’s been some investigation of Noonlight as a programmatic API connected to dispatch services, but my own investigation has been inconclusive: that API is more geared towards corporate partners than individual users, but it may be possible for individual consumers to get keys anyway.

Thank you! That is very helpful. I’m actually actively looking to avoid dispatch service because I find it annoying, an alert to my phone is enough for me - I can decide myself if I need someone to come out. Thanks again!

1 Like

Hey @bachya, I’ve noticed recently that every time I log into the SimpliSafe app on my phone it prompts me to setup multi-factor authentication. Has the HASS SimpliSafe integration been tested with multi-factor authentication? I can’t find any FAQs for this and I haven’t enabled it yet on my account because I didn’t want to risk it breaking the integration.

Yes, the integration takes this into account.

1 Like

Thanks for all the hard work on this integration. I am a N00b to HA so please forgive me for my sometimes N00b questions.
I have the Simplisafe integration installed, and working good. I’m getting the erroneous audible message when smart lock is present. I have two locks and sometimes I get two messages.
After google searches and searching the forum I’m not finding a fix or a way to stop the messages.
Any help would be appreciated.

Unfortunately, this happens to many of us with the locks. I have not found an underlying cause.

HI there. I just wanted to confirm that you can’t check the current state of a sensor repeatedly, is that correct? For example seeing if the window has been left open. I know you can check the current state ONCE at least, but I’m referring to if you have an automation that checks over and over until it’s closed. Thanks.

Not exactly sure what you’re asking. You can check the state of the sensor as often as you’d like, but the underlying info is updated every 30 seconds.

@bachya
Is it possible to configure the SimpliSafe integration such that the pin (UI code) is only required to set the state to Disarmed? This would more closely replicate the native SS UX where a code is not required to arm the system.
Ideally the lovelace alarm card would show the Arm Home and Arm Away buttons without the key pad when the system is in a Disarmed state. Then when the system is in either armed state, it woulld show the key pad in order to disarm the system.

Unfortunately, that’s beyond the SimpliSafe integration: that would be handled for all alarm control panel integrations. You could always start that conversation here: https://github.com/home-assistant/architecture/discussions

Anyone having issues after updating to core-2022.3.0? I try to reauthenticate the integration but after clicking on open to get the authorisation code I just get a message saying that safari can’t open the page as the address is invalid. The address bar is blank - previously I’ve been able to find the new code at the end of that address. Same error in Chrome etc.

Having the same issue, would love to see if anyone found a fix for this.

Recommend you update to the 2022.5.0 beta – I was fortunate enough to figure out a authentication flow that only needs username/password.

This did not work for me. Left logs on the github issue page? No option to try again. I get this error:
Config flow could not be loaded: 500 Internal Server Error Server got itself in trouble

Are you following the instructions to open the debug window and copy the code.