SimpliSafe very unreliable as of late

That’s the SimpliSafe cloud being flaky. I’m experiencing the same thing: I get maybe three out of every five or six events. It looks like their mobile app is using a new websocket, but I’ve not cracked the code on how to access it yet.

Not seeing any of the secret alerts in Home Assistant (again). Must be hard to fight a moving target.
Latest error from log:

Source: components/simplisafe/__init__.py:539
Integration: SimpliSafe (documentation, issues)
First occurred: March 10, 2021, 7:26:00 PM (40 occurrences)
Last logged: 10:36:03 AM

SimpliSafe cloud error; trying stored refresh token````

I’m trying to do the same thing as you. Have you gotten it to work? The action works but the trigger doesn’t.

alias: Doorbell Notification
  description: ''
  trigger:
  - platform: event
    event_type: SIMPLISAFE_EVENT
    event_data:
        last_event_type: doorbell_detected
    condition: []
  action:
  - service: tts.google_translate_say
    data:
      entity_id: media_player.speakers

For the past few days (maybe since the latest Simplisafe update), this trigger is no longer working for me. I can ring the doorbell all day long, but it never triggers the event. My notification automation no longer produces any results:

alias: Log SimpliSafe events and notifications
trigger:
    event_type: SIMPLISAFE_EVENT
    event_type: SIMPLISAFE_NOTIFICATION
action:
  - service: logbook.log
    data:
      name: SimpliSafe
        {% if trigger.event.event_type == "SIMPLISAFE_EVENT" %}
          {% set message = trigger.event.data.last_event_info %}
        {% elif trigger.event.event_type == "SIMPLISAFE_NOTIFICATION" %}
          {% set message = trigger.event.data.message %}
        {% endif %}
         SimpliSafe Message: {{ message }}
mode: single

There are no SIMPLISAFE_EVENT or _NOTIFICATION entries in the log despite the automation reporting that it ran on 3 April 21.

Very hit and miss for me. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. Not sure what can be done as it is most like a simplisafe issue? Not reliable at all.

I was manually fixing this by reloading the integration manually. I’ve setup an automation based off this post on targeting specific integrations and reloading them. The example uses an input_select tool to derive which integration to reload, however, you can easily tweak it to have an automation to run a reload script daily or multiple times in a day. You would need to access the /config/.storage/core.config_entries file on your instance and find your Simplisafe integration’s entry_id value. Hope this helps someone!

Let me start by saying that I know there are other options than what I chose. However, I was looking for something similar to what I had in SimpliSafe.

After months of tinkering, reloading, and having all of my efforts met with frustration I had to let simplisafe go. Even their app works only about half the time. I wasn’t trying to do anything really complex, I just wanted the alarm to arm and disarm when my wife and I came and went from the house. We also have a very new baby, and I don’t need false alarm triggers when she is trying to get the baby in the house. After some reading, and seeing that Costco had a great deal on the ring alarm we decided to pull the trigger.

There is a project that connects to the ring API and your local mqtt server. This is separate from the native integration. It works flawlessly and all of your door, window, and motion sensor activity is reported to home assistant immediately. After my experience with SimpliSafe, this is a breath of fresh air. As a bonus, the ring base station doubles as a Z-Wave hub. The package from Costco also comes with a Z-Wave range extender, six door or window sensors, and a motion sensor. In all, 10 pieces for $149. If you bought a Costco membership just to purchase this item, the membership would pay for itself. Also, the remote monitoring is $10 a month with cellular backup. That will save you $15 a month and in one year the savings will pay for the rest of the cost of the alarm. All of this made the decision to ditch SimpliSafe a no-brainer for us.

I just wanted to share my experience for anyone else who might be at the same place I was with SimpliSafe.

I am having to reauthenticate the integration almost daily. Did something change that I missed?

No – same issue as always. It just affects different people at different times.

That said, 2021.7.4 should add some better retry logic to hopefully mitigate things.

1 Like

I’m getting the same daily notifications that the integration needs to be reconfigured. When I input the password I see:

Aborted

Re-authentication was successful

What’s the “aborted” message telling me?

Thanks

I am now getting asked several times a day to reconfigure.

Same here. I hope that 2021.7.4 is going to fix the issue, but if the retries are not meant to address a new problem that has been introduced about one week ago, then the problem will presumably still be there. Something has definitely changed.

No reconfigure since .4 update. Hopefully it is fixed “again”. Always a moving target with Simplisafe.

24 hours into 2021.7.4, it seems like the new retry logic does indeed fix the issue. Thank you!

Currently fully unreliable. I just reauthorized it via password… still see wrong state, doesn’t update on state changes (home/away/disarmed). doesn’t change states either,

Simpisafe screw things up good…

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Overall, I’m hearing of better experiences in general (mine included); unfortunately, this is still occurring, whether regularly or intermittently.

In my case, I had to re-authenticate twice yesterday. Both times, the request to re-login (the same request that is used when Home Assistant starts) itself failed. My logs showed several dozen other, similar moments where the request succeeded, so it isn’t something wrong in my code. Best I can tell, their service is just continuing to be flaky.

I’m reaching the limit of what I feel comfortable supporting. I could start making even wilder adjustments – maybe I allow up to three failed re-authentication requests? – but all of these special cases are becoming burdensome for me to maintain. I think our energy would be better spent allowing their infrastructure to be flaky and finding ways to put pressure on them to fix it (or, ideally, to support an official mechanism).

1 Like

Sorry if I’m late to the party here.

Is there a new api that we need to reverse engineer? Or have we tried that and can’t stay connected?

There is no “new API” per se – we’re using the same one that’s always been used.

I see, thanks for the clarification. I wasn’t sure how the following link impacted the integration:

I’d be willing to help, just looking for a little direction on the underlying problem. Also, have we talked to anyone at SimpliSafe?

We’ve attempted multiple reach-outs to SimpliSafe, but unfortunately, no substantive response.