Skinning - Inherit Default

I’ve looked all through the HADashboard installation, configuration guide, through the forums and haven’t found anything.

When I start creating my own CSS in /config/appdaemon/custom_css/mycss it changes the entire skinning. For example I change the background color, and everything else including text color changes.

Is there a way to inherit the existing CSS for HADashboard, and make tweaks? If not where is the location of the default CSS for HADashboard?

Running AppDaemon 3 as a Add-on on HASSIO.

2 Likes

a skin must be complete.
the dashboard.css file and the variables.yaml

the best way to use a complete skin is to use the default skin and modify that.
the default skin is called default and you can find it in the directory where you installed appdaemon.

on my system the skins can be found in this dir,
/usr/local/lib/python3.5/dist-packages/appdaemon/assets/css
yours is probably different, but this might tell you enough to find it.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply that is what I assumed you need a complete CSS. I am unable to find the location for the HASSIO ->AppDaemon CSS -> Default skin still.

it must be in your python directory.
so search for python.
or lookup the files in the appdaemon github.

Is it possible to add only variables using the default skin?

no only if you copy the default and change it.
or if you add css to your dashboard for each widget.

good evening, I have the same problem, in my HASSIO I can not find the default.css file. it is not present in the appdaemon folder, nor in the lib folder

its in the appdaemon docker, but you probably cant find it because you are looking for it logged on as the wrong user. hassio is a system that makes it difficult to do advanced stuff like this. its designed to give people an easy to use environment. appdaemon is designed for the opposite.

if you want to use and manipulate the default skin then you can create a directory in your conf dir (where your appdaemon.yaml is)
like this:

/conf/custom_css/default

in that dir you place the files that you can find here.

from that moment on you can manipulate those files.

but 1 big warning though!!!
if there are updates in the future for AD and the default skin is changed, you will need to add the changes manually to your custom_skin.

a better practice is to create your own skinname (change default to something else) and use that skin.
your dashboard will keep on running after an update, you still need to change your own skin, but if it isnt working you have the default to fall back on.

1 Like

I can’t find
/usr/local/lib/python3.5/dist-packages/appdaemon/assets/css

I have
/usr/local/lib/python3.6/
but no dist-packages

I tried copying the files from GitHub to
/config/custom_css/default/
but that messes up the whole layout of each dashboard.

which files did you download? (did you make sure you got the files from the original appdaemon site, and that you got master and not dev?
did you make sure that they got the right filerights after copying?

did you edit anything in those files?

what do you mean with messed up?
what is in your logfiles? and are there errors in the google chrome console?

I downloaded the files from the url above but I forgot to choose MASTER.
Now it works, thanks.

1 Like