Sky HD box integration

Has anyone looked at bringing the Sky HD box into the fold?

For the unaware, Sky is the main satellite broadcaster in the UK and the STB exposes a DLNA service. HA does spot it and writes some errors to the log. Some good work has already been done to build a python remote control by this guy:

He has further info on his blog which is linked from his github above.

To be able to bring what is playing and to control the box using HA would be fabulous.

There’s a similar request here.

The problem I seem to recall is that there’s no feedback, no way of getting the status from the Sky+ box.

I’ve had a play around, sending commands is about all you do at the moment. No idea how to check the status though unfortunately, if you could then integrating all this into a media player would be easy. :cat2:

Some additional info here as well

1 Like

It would be nice for this to happen

Does getting feedback from the rs232 port still work?

http://www.heenan.me.uk/control-sky-from-pc/gnome-protocol.html

This is what I’ve done:

Though I’ve since moved to docker so I have scripts running off MQTT commands and the sky status is also sent via MQTT. Works really well, only I had to set the scan interval to 5 min else the box gets really sluggish

2 Likes

Thanks, didn’t know it could do this, can use it to get Harmony to only send a power command when I want it to.

Big question though…how do I install the cli with hassio?

AFAIK you can’t install in hassio as you’re limited to pip.
Unless you can get npm installed from pip and then install the cli via npm install?
I don’t have hassio so can’t check

Thanks, have to admit I suspected that was the case.