Sky Tonight Card

Being an avid amateur astronomer and a home automation enthusiast, I have recently started integrating a lot of astronomy related stuff into Home Assistant.

I recently built a custom lovelace card that shows what solar system bodies are available for viewing in the sky and at what times.

Would this be something that the community is interested in? If yes, I can share the GitHub repository of this project and would welcome contributions to make it more optimized and feature rich.

Let me know your thoughts!

EDIT 1:

Sky Tonight Card:

Currently needs the below integration to work. I am looking to remove the need for the integration in the future and integrate the JS version of the Astronomy Engine library.

Sky Tonight Integration:

Currently needs the below API to work. Also useful if you want to run automations based on planetary data. I am looking to remove the need for the API in the future and integrate the Python version of the Astronomy Engine library.

Sky Tonight API:

All of these are very crude implementations and require each other to work. I am looking at making more native solutions for these crude projects. I would welcome contributions!

EDIT 2:

Sky Tonight Card:

A complete native implementation of the Astronomy Engine that doesn’t require the Sky Tonight Integration and Sky Tonight API.

11 Likes

Don’t ask…just share :slight_smile: Thanks

Yes, we are interested :slightly_smiling_face:

:slightly_smiling_face: I’ll share the repository tonight.

Repositories added. Please let me know what you guys think.

Good idea, thanks for sharing- will have a look soon

Couple of suggestions;

• convert API into an add-on so it would be much more easier for many HA users to set it up. (link)
  • add integration and custom card to HACS so users can download it without jumping between pages. (link)
  • add direct links to integration and custom card repositories so users can install it with one click. (link)

edit: updated with links

Sure. I’ll look into these and update accordingly.

2 Likes

Have completely refactored the code and the implementation has been optimized.

Have also released a complete native implementation of the Astronomy Engine that doesn’t require the Sky Tonight Integration and Sky Tonight API.

Sky Tonight Card:

2 Likes

HI,

Love the card…

When I try to enter configuration parameters namely Lat & Long I keep getting an error:
“Value is not a finite number: 32.8” it does not matter what number I type in. Same with Long.
The Title works, but that’s it. So I leave blank and card displays fine, but not sure what coordinates its using…

Just noticed that the name of the planets are not showing too.

Let me look into this and 0usb a fix soon.

Just a heads up. On my PC the card is displaying the planet names correctly but on my cell phone (Samsung S23 Ultra) they are blank as per the image above.

I rarely use my PC for homeassistant…

This is so cool, thanks.

I wonder whether it would be possible to give 2 azimuths so it only shows bodies that are visible in that part of the sky. Additionally, an additional altitude setting could rule out bodies below objects at the horizon as well.

I have a telescope but can only use it in my backyard where we have about 150 degrees view on the south, and other houses block the lower let’s say 30 degrees above the horizon.

Hope that makes sense :thinking::sweat_smile:

Hello,

is this discontinued or still works? I tried following the installation instructions from GitHub and I was able to add it but images don’t show up both on mobile and PC while names of the objects only show up on mobile.