Skybell HD Component

Working fine now! Thanks a lot!!:sunglasses:

I have contacted SkyBell support to see if they could do something to improve the delay the skybell HD home assistant component is showing because of receiving the activation of the push button sensor too late from their cloud. I hope they donā€™t mind me copying their answer so, here it is:

Hi Jorge.

Being that we do not control this particular third party integration there may be a bit of a delay in finding a resolution. The particular delay has been noted, you may see some improvements once our updated firmware build is released.

Kindly,
Moses M.

SkyBell Technologies, Inc.| Technical Support Lead

So letā€™s see if itā€™s possible to see some improvement once we get the next firmware update.

Hi, forgot to mention that given the kind answer I received from Moses of SkyBell technical support, it may be possible that they were open to a collaboration with @MisterWil in order to give him more information to be able to improve his own SkyBell component. What do you think? I know itā€™s not an open API but they seemed to want to help improving the integration.

1 Like

Has anyone reached out to skybell to get better integration and snapshot support?

@jolaca How did you contact support? Just the Q&A support ticket system? Iā€™m more than willing to reach out to Skybell to improve things (as the developer that did the component and skybellpy), but Iā€™m less than optimistic that they would be willing to give me information on how to trigger snapshots and get more instantaneous alerts.

Great to hear back from you. Yes, I contacted them via a support ticket from here:

https://skybelltechnologies.zendesk.com

Iā€™ve checked it and my original ticket is closed now for comments but they do let me create a follow-up from it. If you want I could do this, introducing you (and your email) as the developer that was willing to improve the integration and needed their help/info(they seemed to be willing to help) Or if you prefer so, you could create directly a new ticket referring to my original one, its number was:

Request #988038992
Let me know what you prefer. Iā€™m here to help. I understand your concerns about what they want to share, but letā€™s give it a try!
Thanks for your interest!! @MisterWil

1 Like

It would be great to see this happen if anyone is still following the issue. The delay is definitely not ideal!

Hi, Iā€™m still trying to get something from support. Itā€™ll be great if they would like to collaborate. It seems that theyā€™re still fixing their latest update. The chief of support is willing to collaborate but he depends on the developers and their time and they still seem busy with the app.

1 Like

Did they come back to you yet?

Sorry @Will_Garbutt didnā€™t see your message. They did not come back, and I have tried several times. Today I have sent a new message. Iā€™m a bit concerned about Skybell, it is quite strange that they released several months ago an app that took away the specific sound for a pushed button and after lots of complaints of customers on ā€˜google playā€™ they havenā€™t yet released a new version of the software. So it seems as if they have abandoned software development?? I donā€™t know, letā€™s see if they answer my todayā€™s request and clarify things a bit.
BTW, today the image from my skybell camera is not showing on my HomeAssistant front end. Am I the only one or thereā€™s someone with this issue??

Iā€™ve lost the front door image as well. Though it was never real time.

No, not real time, but at least it was there as the last uploaded image, but now it doesnā€™t work anymore.
Someone from tech support has answered me only to say that thereā€™s no issue with Skybell as a company, and asked me to be patient till their next app release. But, again, he didnā€™t say a thing about helping with HA Skybell integration, maybe on Monday, Justin (the one Iā€™ve talked to in the past) tells me something about that question.

Iā€™ve been in contact with them as well, and have received somewhat cryptic messages. But it seems like they are (saying that they are) working on it.

First, I wrote about the slow update, and shared a link to this thread (specifically @jolacaā€™s post with their reply).

They replied with:

So alright! I am going to put your Firmware for an update. It is going to take 5-7 business days to update. I donā€™t update the Firmware, our engineers do. So I have already submitted your Firmware for an update. And itā€™s gonna update automatically

I was a bit puzzled, and asked if the issue I talked about has been addressed in the firmaware update (I am currently on firmware version 7024 and app version 4.0.0 (173)), and they replied:

Yes it sure has been addressed. Itā€™s still in progress

Not that Iā€™m less confused now, but the replies were received 9 days ago, and three days, respectively. After tomorrow (Monday) it will have been 7 business days since the first reply. So please keep an eye out for any updates, and let us know.

1 Like

Thanks @Aephir for the info. Iā€™ll definitely keep an eye, and if I get more info from them Iā€™ll let you know.

Is anyone still missing there images? My images are still missing on the front end .

The skybell component has been updated to address this missing image - see this post.

The updated version (as of 84.6) displays the ā€œlast activityā€ image as a workaround. A newer version will include an option to display the latest saved image or the last activity. This will probably be available in HA 85.0.

Is it possible to avoid the latency associated with the Skybell server by communicating directly with the doorbell through the BLE interface? May not help with images, but notifications of a button press or motion detection should be much quicker.

BLE Interface? I donā€™t see any indication that these things have any interface other than Wi-Fi, which is encrypted to the Skybell server.

Hmmm. I was reading an article at: https://justclickappliances.com/skybell-2-0-vs-skybell-hd-review/

It says:
Difference #8: Bluetooth low energy ā€“ Bluetooth low energy capability allows your smart device to transmit and receive information using bluetooth rather than Wifi. Bluetooth technology in the Skybell HD uses a lot less power. Additionally, this connection offers increased integration with other devices such as the Nest Cam, Nest Protect, and Kevo Lock.

I donā€™t see any reference to Bluetooth on the skybell web site, so maybe this is bad info.

I suspect itā€™s bad info. Bluetooth scanning in the area has not found anything, nor is there any advertised mode that would use such a feature (direct communication with any device other than the skybell servers). As for the claims of using less power, the skybell doesnā€™t really care as itā€™s not operating on batteries, but rather itā€™s using the hardwired doorbell power supply.