Skybell HD Component

True. I don’t see any bluetooth device when I scan either. But then there is also this:

https://library.ademconet.com/MWT/fs2/DBCAM/SkyBell-Video-Doorbell-Data-Sheet.PDF

And their patent application ( DOORBELL COMMUNICATION SYSTEMS AND METHODS
United States Patent Application 20170085843) also makes reference to having both WiFi and Bluetooth transceivers.

Finally, Skybell HD integrates with Kevo locks, and Kevo communicates over Bluetooth.

Maybe it needs to be enabled on the Skybell.

Even if true, we have no way to enable it, or pair to it. Which makes it somewhat moot.

Skybell-sniffer works great and results in a near instant trigger - thank you thouky ! I forked your gist and have included instructions on how to integrate it with Home Assistant. For those interested, see GeekVisit/Simple-Skybell-Sniffer and GeekVisit Post on Skybell-Sniffer (ignore the Google Notifier instructions as stated in my update note)

1 Like

I wonder if this could be an easy to use Docker image?

I could add it into HomeBridge but I was hoping to retire homebridge for HomeKit proper… hmm…

Anyone try to use Skybell image with Face detection Deepstack? How fast it works?

Skybell component not working today after restart , already tried erasing the cache file but nothing anyone else having problems ?

HASSIO - Home Assistant 0.101.3

Yep. Same here. However I noticed 1000’s of skybell errors in log from the past day - BEFORE rebooting. Cleared the skybell pickle cache, rebooted (several times), it still fails setup.

Skybell app is working fine. Something changed in the API?

EDIT: Submitted Github issue to @MisterWil skybellpy repo.
With debug enabled, it shows that the Authorization/bearer token to cloud.myskybell.com fails with response code 500 - Internal server error.

2019-11-11 16:42:31 DEBUG (SyncWorker_8) [skybellpy] HTTP get https://cloud.myskybell.com/api/v3/devices/5bf5f***/settings/ Request with headers: {'Authorization': 'Bearer <snip>, 'user-agent': 'SkyBell/3.4.1 (iPhone9,2; iOS 11.0; loc=en_US; lang=en-US) com.skybell.doorbell/1', 'content-type': 'application/json', 'accepts': '*/*', 'x-skybell-app-id': '2cd2f885***', 'x-skybell-client-id': '51b80520-***'}
2019-11-11 16:42:34 DEBUG (SyncWorker_8) [skybellpy] <Response [500]> {"message": "Internal server error"}
2019-11-11 16:42:34 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Error during setup of component skybell

Same here. Skybell is failing. My Android app is also having issues under ‘settings’, I get 'An error occurred while requesting…"

Skybell may be having an issue.

Thanks @Markf for catching that the settings menu in the Skybell Android app is also failing. Everything else in the app I tried was working.

So I’ll wait till tomorrow to see if it clears. If not, will try contacting Skybell.

EDIT: (11/12/19) - Communication to Skybell server is working now. Needed to restart HASS to reload skybell component.

1 Like

So the last several months I’ve been going over my monthly bandwidth cap with Comcast. Turns out it was the Skybell component which was pulling a near constant 1-2 Mbps leading to about 400GB usage per month. Anybody else having this issue?

The skybell HD component has stopped working completely for me in 0.108.9 I opened issue 34666 (below). Is it working for anyone?

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/skybellpy/device.py", line 216, in activity_image
    return self.latest().get(CONST.MEDIA_URL)
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'get'

https://github.com/home-assistant/core/issues/34666

Disregard. I had migrated my Skybell Pro to a new VLAN and didn’t turn motion detection back on. It therefore had no last_activity image to display.

Anyone else notice that the SkyBell integration isn’t working? I tried logging into my skybell.com account and it seems like they redid their website and not my account only works from the app. I’m think that this integration is now broken :frowning: Another cloud device “retired?”

Your not one the only one… see https://community.home-assistant.io/t/lost-all-skybell-components-after-a-reboot/89966/12?u=ceddy and the post before it.

Glad to hear it’s not just me. Misery loves company I guess. It might be time to upgrade to a doorbell that isn’t cloud connected… When I purchased my skybells there weren’t any non-cloud options out there.

Any news on this? I’d love to have skybell up and running again in home assistant. I think these systems always need to have proper api’s since they need to integrate with other hardware to get the maximum out of it.

It’s working again as of 0.113.3 after deleting the pickle file and restarting. See Lost all Skybell components after a reboot for more

Have you been able someone figure out how to improve PUSH button notification speed into HA?

When I push SKYBELL HD it takes several minutes to trigger automation and obviously the person who rang is gone.

Yes, the polling rate is pretty awful. The only method I’ve seen requires running Simple-Skybell-Sniffer on a ddwrt capable router. From the project:

The service runs on your raspberry pi or other linux server and opens up an ssh session to your router where it runs a tcpdump command on your router which listens for the skybell button push. Once the Service detects the button push it runs a custom command

I’ve been on the lookout for a replacement that has an rtsp feed, IR light, ir sensor, LED, and push button. It would been to be shaped like a doorbell and be outdoor rated. 24V AC would be a bonus so I don’t have to run any new wiring but I could live with PoE. This really seems like an ESP32-Cam would be a great fit but it’s pretty far down the project list and I like the look of the Skybell (maybe I’ll reuse the enclosure).

@Vendo_Novak - I tried the sniffer code but found a reliable solution in using Tasker+SkybellApp to trigger sensors in HA via Rest. This requires an Android device or Android emulator though. Button/Motion alerts were immediate.

@jshank - I really disliked not being able to stream the front door video in HA, so I replaced it with an Amcrest AD110 doorbell that supports RTSP nicely. Can even record to my NVR as well as the local SD-Card. Cloud subscription not required. It has an IR light/PIR sensor, as well as a blue LED light around the button that can be controlled on/off, but not color change.

The existing HA Amcrest camera integration supports RTSP streaming, snapshot or video recording and motion detection. it does not yet support doorbell button press alerts but that nut is being cracked now in the python-amcrest forum. The ffmpeg integration can also be used along with Tasker+SmartHome for immediate alerts. Blue Iris supports it as well.

1 Like