SkyConnect and Proxmox 8 (Device Mapping)

I am excited about the new device mapping feature of Proxmox 8 where you can do USB/PCI passthrough device mapping on multiple nodes so you can migrate a VM from one box to another even when doing passthrough (offline only it seems). ( What's new in Proxmox VE 8.0 right at the 5:00 timestamp in the video)

So my question is that I have a SkyConnect and that has caused me to not be able to migrate my HA VM without first removing the USB device, then migrating the VM, physically moving the USB device, then attaching the “new” USB device. Does the SkyConnect (Zigbee for now, possibly Thread/Matter later on) make connections to the devices with any hardware or is it all software related? I’d like to purchase another SkyConnect and use a device mapping if at all possible but I am not as familiar with zigbee as others might be. I know BT will pair to the device itself but unsure of Zigbee.

1 Like

Unless you are looking to always also migrate your Zigbee network back and forth between the two SkyConnect devices when you migrate VMs between hosts it won’t work the way you may have imagined it. Functions of your Zigbee network are tied to the individual controller. It’s a bit different from, say, Wi-Fi where it doesn’t really matter what radio you use as long as your network settings are right.

What I did to support live migrations of VMs was to user ser2net to bridge my USB Zigbee stick through an Ethernet network from an old Raspberry Pi I had laying around. For me it had the added benefit that I could place it closer to a central location in my house, as now I only needed Ethernet to be available there and having everything else remain in the rack in the basement.

See: Connecting to a remote Zigbee coordinator with ZHA using ser2net

1 Like

Thanks FelixKa,

That’s exactly what I was (unfortunately) expecting with Zigbee. However, I love your solution of using ser2net. I’ll have to look into this but that would definitely solve my problem. Much appreciate you sharing that.