Skyconnect Dead?

I’ve been using my new Skyconnect dongle successfully for about a week with HAOS in a VM in Unraid. However, today I rebooted my machine after adding some RAM, and the Skyconnect usb device disappeared. It’s not listed in lsusb anymore, and looking through the system boot log, there’s no mention of silicon labs at all. I’ve tried several different USB ports, to no avail. Is the dongle dead?

I’ve already ordered a new Skyconnect device from ameriDroid assuming it’s probably dead, as I want to minimize the time without my zigbee network. Any advice would be welcome.

USB devices in VMs should always be checked first in the hypervisor software.
If the hypervisor software do not passthrough the USB to the VM correctly, then there is no way the VM can see or access it.

I see. But this USB device doesn’t appear in lsusb outside the VM, either. And it’s not listed in the boot log of the main machine.

Test it in another machine too.
It might be the USB Hub drivers in that machine that is corrupt.

Thanks for your help. Looking at it with another machine also shows nothing. While moving the Skyconnect between machines, I noticed a spot on the plastic that looks like a component underneath got hot enough to melt it. I must have fried the board somehow.

If it does not get detected in other machines, then the problem follow the USB stick and that is where the fault is.
The indication of melting plastic would confirm this.

Quick follow-up. I bought a new stick and it died within a week. Same error, same melty spot. Maybe they have a QA problem with one of their components? I’ll be going with a different Zigbee stick in the future.

It would guess more on a faulty USB port or power supply on that machine.
The fault occurring in the same spot makes sense if it there the voltage converter is located on the print board.