SkyConnect failed to set up

Hi All,

I migrated over to the skyconnect a few weeks ago and it’s been running just fine but for some reason today I got this error.

I did upgrade to 2023.5.2 from 2023.5.0 today but I can’t recall if that problem started immediately after that.

I get two different errors in the logs

Logger: homeassistant.config_entries
Source: components/zha/core/gateway.py:205
First occurred: 12:00:06 AM (3 occurrences)
Last logged: 12:13:51 AM

Error setting up entry SkyConnect v1.0, s/n: 4ce030d3b918ec118969f69a47486eb0 - Nabu Casa for zha
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/bellows/uart.py", line 268, in reset
    return await self._reset_future
asyncio.exceptions.CancelledError

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/config_entries.py", line 387, in async_setup
    result = await component.async_setup_entry(hass, self)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/zha/__init__.py", line 122, in async_setup_entry
    await zha_gateway.async_initialize()
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/zha/core/gateway.py", line 220, in async_initialize
    raise exc
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/zha/core/gateway.py", line 205, in async_initialize
    self.application_controller = await app_controller_cls.new(
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/zigpy/application.py", line 219, in new
    await app.startup(auto_form=auto_form)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/zigpy/application.py", line 193, in startup
    await self.connect()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/bellows/zigbee/application.py", line 130, in connect
    self._ezsp = await bellows.ezsp.EZSP.initialize(self.config)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/bellows/ezsp/__init__.py", line 112, in initialize
    await ezsp._startup_reset()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/bellows/ezsp/__init__.py", line 103, in _startup_reset
    await self.reset()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/bellows/ezsp/__init__.py", line 132, in reset
    await self._gw.reset()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/bellows/uart.py", line 267, in reset
    async with asyncio_timeout(RESET_TIMEOUT):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/async_timeout/__init__.py", line 129, in __aexit__
    self._do_exit(exc_type)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/async_timeout/__init__.py", line 212, in _do_exit
    raise asyncio.TimeoutError
asyncio.exceptions.TimeoutError

and also

Logger: homeassistant.components.zha.core.gateway
Integration: Zigbee Home Automation (documentation, issues)
First occurred: May 6, 2023 at 11:59:49 PM (9 occurrences)
Last logged: 12:13:51 AM

Couldn't start EZSP = Silicon Labs EmberZNet protocol: Elelabs, HUSBZB-1, Telegesis coordinator (attempt 1 of 3)
Couldn't start EZSP = Silicon Labs EmberZNet protocol: Elelabs, HUSBZB-1, Telegesis coordinator (attempt 2 of 3)
Couldn't start EZSP = Silicon Labs EmberZNet protocol: Elelabs, HUSBZB-1, Telegesis coordinator (attempt 3 of 3)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/bellows/uart.py", line 268, in reset

File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/zha/core/gateway.py", line 205, in async_initialize
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/zigpy/application.py", line 219, in new
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/zigpy/application.py", line 193, in startup
    await self.connect()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/bellows/zigbee/application.py", line 130, in connect
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/bellows/ezsp/__init__.py", line 112, in initialize
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/bellows/ezsp/__init__.py", line 103, in _startup_reset
    await self.reset()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/bellows/ezsp/__init__.py", line 132, in reset
    await self._gw.reset()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/bellows/uart.py", line 267, in reset
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/async_timeout/__init__.py", line 129, in __aexit__
    self._do_exit(exc_type)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/async_timeout/__init__.py", line 212, in _do_exit

At this point I’ve tried

1. Reload the configuration
  2. Restart HA
  3. unplugging and replugging in the skyconnect then restart HA
  4. trying skyconnect in alternate USB port then restart HA
  5. removing the Bluetooth range extender (sena, HA approved list) then restart HA
  6. navigated to official skyconnect flash page and reflashed skyconnect to zigbee only
  7. Repeat 1 - 5

I have not been able to get it working since the update.

I would just revert back to the backup it made prior to the update, but I’ve ignored it thinking I just needed to restart the system or it’s something I could troubleshoot along the way and unrelated to the update.

I’m not sure at this point but I’ve been on a binge of creating helpers, automations, and the like. I’d really love to not have to restore to that backup.

Has anyone else had these two errors? Any solutions or possible advice?

Thanks in advance!

I am running a pi4

bump please

Same problem. No idea how to fix it

Logger: homeassistant.config_entries
First occurred: 21:19:47 (2 occurrences)
Last logged: 21:20:32

Error setting up entry SkyConnect v1.0 for zha

File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/config_entries.py", line 387, in async_setup
    result = await component.async_setup_entry(hass, self)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/zha/__init__.py", line 122, in async_setup_entry
    await zha_gateway.async_initialize()
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/zha/core/gateway.py", line 220, in async_initialize
    raise exc
    await self.connect()
    await self.reset()
    await self._gw.reset()
    self._do_exit(exc_type)

Might have something to do with enabling matter multi protocol support and some Silicon labs add on

I think I know what happened to mine. I ticked the Multiprotocol option in hardware and it loaded a new firmware onto my Skyconnect which doesn’t seem to work. I tried to flash the original firmware back but that also doesn’t work. So I now have a bricked skyconnect. I just bought a new one and migrated radio to the new one and all is back up and running. I now have a a spare unit which at some point I hope I can reflash with working firmware and somehow reuse or give to somebody. If you have a new Siliconlabs Multiprotocol add on, and some thread integrations that you didnt setup yourself, then you know that its been updated to Multiprotocol.

So my unit is unusable now? I’m trying to get devices from my thread network on my apple hub and also trying to have some zigbee devices but this failing is making that impossible

Same thing here. Worked fine for a couple of weeks and now failing. I never enabled multi-protocol on mine

Happened all the time on my device with the multiprotocol firmware but restarting HASS OS usually fixed it. I flashed back to zigbee-only and so far, so good.

I was having the same apparent issue (I think) out of the blue. My HA runs in a VM inside my Synology. My Skyconnect v1.0 “failed to set up.” I discovered this because various automations were not working which prompted me to log in to HA and take a look.

After doing all the usual steps (restarting HA, restarting my VM, flashing Skyconnect, I finally restarted my Synology NAS entirely. This made the Skyconnect start up.

My theory was that the connection between the VM and the USB connector on the Synology was disconnected or broken. I then remembered I had unplugged and replugged the Skyconnect cable while repositioning some USB cables.

I did some experimentation. Any time I removed the Skyconnect USB dongle from my Synology, the only way I could get it operating again was to restart the NAS entirely. I then realized that that was unnecessary. I could go into Synology’s VM Manager and edit the virtual machine, and under “Others” I could see that the USB device was not mounted. I selected the Skyconnect stick in the pulldown menu and reloaded the ZHA integration and everything came back.

Therefore, in my particular case, I learned that if you have a VM in Synology connected to a USB port and you unplug the device and plug it back in, the VM doesn’t automatically remount the device. Yet, if you reboot the NAS entirely, the VM automatically remounts the device. I don’t know if this behavior is intentional or not by Synology. Perhaps they will fix this because it seems like a bug to me.

lol… same here

just bought a skyconnect stick, just to find out it deeply suxx !! I

made my learning, never buy something from NabuCasa again

maybe we can get nabucasa to fix it this time …

1 Like

nothing here as well? As soon as Skyconnect is in title - Mods/NabuCasa want the Thread to keep quiet, right?

1 Like

We have awesome powers … but:

1. Other than unlisting or locking a topic (neither of which have been done) we can’t stop other people from participating in a topic
  2. There is no conspiracy here

Spamming various topics with the same content (like you do) hardly helps to get a faster respond - actually often the opposite happens and people that would have helped you in the first place are just tired reading your posts and therfor give a … (word of choice) helping you.

2 Likes

I don’t think there’s a conspiracy nor do I think you’d be silencing these posts but… are there people who are using skyconnect successfully? Are they the majority? I feel like I’m spinning in circles with this

Most people are.

There does seem to be some bad sticks out there, and @cogneato is gathering details on those and can probably provide more information.

Edit:

It doesn’t identify itself as a SkyConnect and as a generic CP2102N serial device instead

So, if that’s the problem you’re seeing then you have one of the (very few) known problem sticks.

Only thing we drop the hammer on are posts that are spam or otherwise are breaking the code of conduct (and even there we tend not to do that unless things are getting bad).

This has never stopped people claiming otherwise, and never will. Even when nothing gets deleted people cry out that they’re being silenced… :person_shrugging: