Slowness of Pico Remote controlling a Caseta Light vs a Hue Light

Hi all, I’ve been playing with Pico remotes to do a variety of things, and it has been great, but I noticed a curiousity.

If I configure a Pico remote to toggle a Hue Light on / off it works essentially instantaneously. However, if I configure a Pico remote to toggle a Caseta light there is a very noticeable delay. Both are being processed through HA and talking to a local hub, so curious if this is an issue with the Caseta hub processing the command via telnet slower or if the Caseta HA implementation is doing something more interesting.

I know I can use the Caseta app to directly control the lights but I would like to customize some buttons but not all, and HA and Caseta will interfere with each other on button presses.

Also, other items I control using Pico buttons include Sonos (via HA) and they are also very quick.

1 Like

@Talvish, I have exactly the same issue. I have a few theories as to the root of the problem. Just haven’t had time to test them all out and wanted to post this incase anyone else see it and can help.

My end goal is to use 5 button Pico remotes as scene controllers. Buttons are used to activate scenes (from Home Assistant) or a series of light on/off settings based on an automation that watches for the button press. Everything works but the delay controlling other Caseta Lights is very annoying.

I am currently using both the Home Assistant Core Lutron Caséta integration and the lutron-caseta-pro custom component. Prior to some recent versions of Home Assistant the custom component was the only way to use Pico remotes. I have tested remotes using both the core integration and the pro custom component and the result is the same.

The biggest hint is when using the Pico to trigger a scene. Non-Lutron devices respond instantly but Lutron switches don’t respond until after the light on the Pico stops blinking. I can see the Lutron Switch responding within Home Assistant instantly but the light doesn’t turn on until the Pico stops blinking. Controlling the same light directly from Home Assistant works as expected and turns the light on instantly.

Now onto my theories

1. When the Pico is broadcasting it blocks the lutron hub from controlling other devices. I see home assistant switching the Lutron light on instantly but the light doesn’t turn on until the Pico remote stops blinking.
  2. Something about having telnet on the Caseta Pro Hub is creating the delay. The telnet session won’t process the request to turn on a light until the receiving signal from the Pico completes. This can be tested by disabling telnet and switching all my automations over to the Home Assistant Core Pico trigger.

My belief from reading about Lutron Clear Connect doesn’t show this problem when using a Pico to control a Caseta Light is that the Pico sends signals directly to the Lights and doesn’t have to go thru the hub.

Just trying to add some additional information as this was the only topic that seemed to describe the same problem I am trying to solve.

The theories are feasible. The Pico remote is sending a signal to the hub, hub is notifying HA and HA is calling back to the hub. Given the hub is in the path twice, perhaps there is some limited synchronous operations in there that give that choppy/slow feeling.

Thanks for these details.

I’m encountering a somewhat similar issue. I’m using a PJ2-4B-GWH-L31 four button scene controller to execute scenes or on/off commands from Home Assistant.

I have two of the buttons set to turn on and off all the lights for a floor respectively. The lights utilizing Zigbee bulbs turn on and off instantly and in unison at a button press. The Caseta lights also always turn on and off in unison but are a clear 1-1.5 seconds behind all the other lights.