SMA Sunny Tripower Smart Energy Modbus - Run without Sunny Home Manager 2.0

Hi there,

i am actually planning to install a SMA Sunny Tripower Smart Energy solar inverter.

As i already own a smart meter from our local electricity provider and get the relevant data via mqtt into home assistant. I wondered if it is possible to run it without installing a Sunny Home Manager 2.0 or SMA Energy Meter. Additionally i would like to install a SMA Home Storage battery - SMA Home Storage battery | SMA Solar

My plan is to do all the automation in Home Assistant, like loading the battery. Loading my EV (honda e), unloading the battery in the night etc.

Has anyone an idea if this is possible without installing a Sunny Home Manager 2.0 or SMA Energy Meter?

KR
Robert

I’m pretty sure that’s not possible, as the inverter actually communicates with the SHM or energy meter to know what the inverter should do, charge/discharge battery based on grid consumption or production

2 Likes

It ist possible using modbus. As Home Assistant works on 1 second time slots the charge and discharge regulation produces more overshoots than the 200ms SMA control. Results in somewhat higher regulation “losses”, aka discharge to the grid. Otherweise works fine for half a year now.

So how do you managed it? Any example code or even maybe a guid? :smiley:

In my opinion you need some sort of an energy manager.

I operate an SMA Sunny Tripower with a Smartfox Pro.

Without an energy manager, you have only the value for PV-production and no idea about your actual load of the household.

True but as written in my i inital post, i am already owning a smart meter from our local electricity provider, where i am able to read out all the relevant data.

Hi, do you have any docs or repo on how you achieved control via modbus? I am able to read out my tripower 10.0 SE but I am unable to control it.

How did you end up solving this?
I have created an add-on for this purpose:Home Assistant Add-on: SMA Energy Meter emulator