Smart deadbolts, the Australian edition

If you’re not apposed to DIY solutions you could also use a electrical door latch/electric strike door latch with an esp2886 with a relay. A quick look on ebay shows 12v and 24v variants.

The advantage is you can use any normal dead bolt with it. The disadvantage is modifying the door jam.

1 Like

Yep it’s going to be a hardware mod :slight_smile:

There’s a header inside labbeled as “home automation” which can change he the state of the lock

1 Like

Where does the key go? There is no hole. We want a lock with key backup.

if anyone is in Perth, im happy to sell my silver Xiaomi Smart Lock, which is zigbee based. It has never been installed, and is still in the box.

Just message me - I am happy to sell at cost price.

I was looking at the YRD220 and integrating with home assistant. What were the problems / inflexibility you encountered?

This is the one smart thing I bought that I am truly happy with. It works even if my (hobby) smarthome server goes down or the internet is down. It opens the door for my kids without a key and I can monitor the state of the lock from work if I need.
Few things I noticed in the 6 months I am using this:
The battery goes down very quickly if the door is not properly shut and the lock can’t engage. I had to replace the battery once(AAA).
ZWave usb stick sucks, I could not remove and re-add the lock(and other stuff). Using vera edge now.
Finger print marks on the face is visible, needs frequent cleaning.
Overall very good product and would recommend.

My lock has a keyhole and keys, just in case.

1 Like

Does anyone know if you can use the Yale nest lock directly with home assistant?

This looks a lot nicer than some of the other options, and would save me having to buy a z-wave usb stick, and for 299 USD + freight forwarder I could have a complete setup including a handle.

https://www.yalehome.com/en/yale/yalehome/residential/nest-yale-lock/nest-yale-lock/

This is the other yale lock that looks good, it supports zigbee and z-wave module.

It’s the YRC246 (no key) and YRC226 (key).

The advantage is the handle and deadbolt are integrated on the inside of the door, so you only have to use 1x lever to open the door and unlock from the inside (rather than needing to turn a knob AND a handle to leave the house).

I’m having trouble deciding on which electronic door lock would be good for me to buy (given that I don’t own a smartthings or wink or homekit hub and I don’t have a z-wave stick either).

I’m not sure if I can buy a USA lock and add a NZ/AU z-wave module to it.

Also some of the Yale locks are z-wave plus, should i wait for z-wave plus to come to AU/NZ ?

According to the below website you can get a yale lock installed in NZ for $399 ($299 if you fit it yourself). I have no connection, just something I picked up in my internet travels.

https://try.exceed.co.nz/digital-door-locks/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw1NzZBRCoARIsAIaMwusBq49TujlrC0yrGsxpehZPkwtqrZ8qqyzDZtWMExT2-N0qDe3RwcEaApeTEALw_wcB

Thanks. That lock for $299 / $399 NZ installed is Yale Assure bluetooth lock (YRD446).

It seems to support z-wave (i think), as on the USA website ($169 USD) there is an option to bundle with a z-wave (not z-wave plus) module.

It is bloody annoying that they don’t even seem to tell you what device they are actually supplying!

I would be happy if we could get worldwide standards for things like comms frequencies and even electrical equipment
That way we could buy from anywhere as long as they all follow the same standard. in this day and age, why is it so difficult.

1 Like

A lot of it goes back to how radio frequencies have been allocated over time in various countries.

I avoid z-wave because the cheaper stuff is designed for US frequencies. I live in NZ.

Oh i agree and understand how it came about, the issue is, it always seems to be overlooked, new spectrum becomes available and then instead of looking at international allocations, we give it up for other stuff.

You would think this would be easy right…
Of course ive just done extensive home renovations, including a new foyer / front door, but didnt even think about smart locks at the time. It would have been trivial to run some cabling for an electronic striker.

So given that i didnt, im looking at deadbolt options. There are really only 2 things i need.

1. It needs a key, for the WAF.
  2. It needs to be brass, to match the character of our house (and the existing antique door handles we have

Kwikset Kevo is probably in the lead at the moment. I dont really like that its only bluetooth however :frowning:

Or i just get a normal lock that matches, and get an August.

Hi Bob,
My apologies for the late reply. I’ve just come across your post with a search for some zwave info.

I have the Vision ZM1701AU bought from the same mob as in your link.
And I’m also using it with the Gen 5 Z-stick without issue.

The lock works fine with Home Assistant allowing you to set and see lock state, battery level, and remotely set usercodes.

I hope this info is still useful 6 months later.

Cheers

1 Like

@jivesinger thanks for the response and good to know. I’m still unsure what I’m going to get… I do like the look of the Yale lock but very $$$.

I would also have loved to get a brand name lock but couldn’t justify the $$ which is why I went with the vision.
I’ve had it 9 months now and I haven’t had any issues, so to date am pleased with my purchase.
The original batteries are still at 75% which I find amazing considering its used multiple times a day