Smart deadbolts, the Australian edition

Hmm, this is quite frustrating. Yale seems to have the best HA integration out of the popular lock types. I was all set to buy one but my wife hates the look of it which has now disrupted all my plans. Are there any other popular brands that have a similar level of HA integration?

The worst bit is it’s the black that she doesn’t like, and so many locks have a black screen/keypad. I’d really gotten to like the look of the yale assure SL so i’m bummed.

Hey all,
Been following this thread for a while now and thinking I finally want to get a smart lock for our internal garage door. We mostly access our home via the garage, and plus, our front door has a security screen door, so no option for a smart lock there.

Our garage internal door currently has a Knob handle with a keyed lock.

I’m looking at adding the Yale/Lockwood Zigbee lock - But am concerned that these don’t have a backup key.

For those who have the same/similiar locks without backup keys, how do you find it? Ever had any issues?

TIA.

This may not help you, but I had a strict requirement for backup keys and local non-cloud connectivity when I first started on this a year ago. Since then, I have not used my backup (physical) key even once.

I have two Nuki smart locks. One for our front door, and another for our garage - both connected to the same Nuki bridge.

Nuki supports double cylinders and hence a physical backup key. My front door had a Euro profile lock so it worked seamlessly. I bought another one off Ebay for the garage door.

Nuki is reasonably well integrated into Home Assistant, but we use their app on our smart phones for auto-unlock and also temporary keys. Since we have kids, we also installed the small bluetooth panel (sticky tape only!) in a hidden location close to the door to allow them to access on their way back from school.

Not sure if you’ve considered this (or if it meets your needs) but I added a simple electro-magnetic lock to the top of our garage door. You could hook it up to any sort of in-line plug which you can control through HA.

The only issue with something like this is it’s fail safe, so when it loses power (during a black out) it is in an unlocked state.

1 Like

Agreed, however for an internal door it shouldn’t be much of an issue

Seems to be his main access point, I’d personally want something that doesn’t unlock when the power goes out.

I’ve recently purchased one of these (originally posted in the Aus Certified thread). It doesn’t have a key, but has the option for the lock to be externally powered via a 9v battery should the internal battery go flat. Unlock via PIN or with HA, works very well.

Tom has posted instructions on getting it working with Z2M and HA

2 Likes

On the other hand if there is a fire and the power is out, you don’t want it locking you in either.

Agreed, that’s why I find the strike plate magnetic locks to be a better option if having a mag lock is essential. Lets you use your normal lock and key.

2 Likes

Similar to the magnetic lock I went for a electric latch and put it on the centre of my garage door near my lock. The magnetic play ones need to go at the top but most wooden doors are not solid and wouldn’t be strong enough for that configuration.
I have a push button switch with an esphome in an enclosure mounted on the inside to control it.
DC12V 1000KG Electric Drop Door Lock Magnetic Induction Gate Entry Access Control Magnetic Gate Lock 0s/3s/6s delay Function

In saying that I have been using my system for over a year now. I have had a couple of time a when HA is down for whatever reason and the door is still locked. This is really frustrating, especially for the wife.

I bought one of the Lockwood Zigbee t-locks and will looking to change to using that once deconz supports it. This at least works If HA is offline.

For the fire scenario I think you’ll find that you could kick the door lock in pretty easy. The door jam/frame is unlikely to be steel reenforced and would break. Locks stop opportune people.

As for the use of a physical key. I have a dumb keypad lock on my other external garage door which we use a lot. I have never used the physical key on it in 4 years. On a side note I modified the dumb keypad lock to have a xiaomi door sensor detect if the lock mechanism is open or closed.
Bunnings keypad lock

1 Like

I purchased two of these back at the end of August, but haven’t received them. I’ve tried contacting the company, but heard nothing.

They have no phone number on their site. Anyone had a similar issue?

liquidate-it… sounds like it…

@tom_l bought some for himself, and then some for me. They all arrived at his place in Tassie. (I am yet to receive mine in NZ, but that is more to Auspost and NZ Post and lockdowns not liquidate-it.)

Also, when I enquired about getting them shipped direct to NZ they responded to emails promptly.

Yeah I’d definitely get in touch with them. Both of my orders arrived within a week.

[email protected]

I also got my one from them pretty quickly.

Installed it yesterday actually. Very happy.

Managed to get a nice interface for adding and removing codes setup also.

Tom, do you have a way to query the lock for active codes? I couldn’t find anything so currently am simply manually recording what I’ve set up.

Is there a handle on the outside to open the door? Do you always need to use a code or a remote for exterior entry? Which hub do you guys use?

Regarding the tlock mentioned above (Yale assure SL is another name for it)

No handle. I’m installing a seperate matching Yale handleset to give the push/pull function you would expect.

There are other versions which have a key slot also so you have options.

There’s no standard remote so it is designed for code use or app use if you got a Yale connect wifi version (the only one with its own hub).
Essentially I’m setting it up with presence detection to auto unlock for myself and my wife. Everyone else (parents, cleaner etc) can use a code. I can unlock it remotely using HA also if needed.

My plan is to enable and disable certain codes based on a calender but I’m yet to work out the details.

I’m using a ZigBee ethernet coordinator I bought from tubesZB on this forum. Was my first foray into ZigBee and is working well with 10ish devices so far.

2 Likes

Just an update on reliability of Yale Assure Deadbolt + Zigbee Module.
Overall, works really well. Bought and installed almost 7 months ago now. Connected via Conbee II using ZHA, which is less than 2 meters away from the door. Battery is at 74%.
However, there’s been about 3 times now when insisted that it’s open when it’s locked. Once that happens, HA can’t send commands to it anymore. I’ve had to remove the lock and reconnect to zigbee network. Which does fix it, just annoying if I’m not home when the lock is claiming to be unlocked. Because of the Zigbee issue, I’ve considered finding a HomeKit Module for it, but they’re surprisingly difficult to find on their own and pretty expensive.
Otherwise, no issues. I’ve got HA set up to lock it when the door closes, unlock/lock via Apple Watch, send me an actionable notification when I arrive home to unlock it, bug me with notifications if it’s unlocked for a certain amount of time.
Really handy when carrying things inside, and I love not needing a key. Unlock door before filling my hands and use my elbow to push down the door lever.
I’ve also got a button on my HA dashboard to set new user codes or delete currently active ones. Works by sending a couple notifications to my phone asking which code slot and code to use.
Also, since I live alone, it’s nice to know that in an emergency where I can’t get to the door to unlock it, I can unlock it from wherever I am so help can come in. Plus, my family (who don’t live locally) have a code to get in which they can give to police or ambulance if they have a reason to suspect I’m in real trouble and they can’t contact me.

2 Likes

I ordered mine on a Sunday, and it was delibvered on the next Tuesday, in melbourne… It was also at the end of August, i also got a tracking number on the monday… I think it came from Sydney… I would try and contact, or do a CC reverse if nothing happens…

Thanks for information. Having trouble finding out anything. No reply from the company yet, despite numerous requests. I’ll try getting money returned through CC company.