Smart deadbolts, the Australian edition

I have two of the Yale smartlocks (The Assure Lock® SL) with zigbee module and they both just work. Super easy to install and setup with ZHA. I’ve had very little issues with any zigbee devices but not a single issue with either of these: Yale Satin Chrome Smart Deadbolt | Bunnings Warehouse

However, once you include the cost of the Zigbee module they are $100 give or take more than the Lockwoods. Not sure its worth it and might give one of these a try next time I’m looking for a new toy.

If anyone is planing on buy the Yale Assure deadbolt within the next few days, there’s an ebay seller listing it for $295, and it’s eligble for the 20% off Afterpay Day special. There are also the modules available from other sellers for around $80 that are eligble for the sale. Just add to cart and use PAPDY20 code to check if the special applies.
Takes module + lock down to around $300.

2 Likes

Hey guys. Just wanted to check what the latest is.

I’m new to HA but going deep real fast.

We will be getting a new front door soon so I’ve started looking at smart locks.

Things I’d like to be able to do:

Smart entry > door unlocks when someone gets home.
Auto lock > my wife is paranoid and always keeps doors locked.
Remote control > ability to let someone in when not home without giving a master pin code away.
Regular guest pin > for a cleaner or grandparents etc. Could be smart lock configured also I suppose but I don’t want them to have to have any apps to make it work.

I interested in what the outcome is. The Eufy Wifi Smart Lock seems to be one of the better options I could find.

I am hoping because they already have an integration with HA already, I know not for the lock but I am hopeful.

Seems to be one of the better options with fingerprint readers. I just really want to know if it is possible to integrate into HA. The lockly one looks good aswell but they don’t seem interested in integrating out of there own eco system. The Yale is missing the finger print readers which I really want. The Schlage lock doesn’t have the finger print reader either.

The Eufy integration is still being worked on, at least as far as I know it’s still got its teething problems.

I’d have a look at the Yale/Lockwood AssureSL (it’s what I went with) as you’re able to change the radio modules in it to make it compatible with Zigbee, ZWave or Homekit. Just adds a little more flexibility and if integrated into HomeAssistant, you’re able to do things like remote unlock, etc.

I’ve been leaning towards the yale one actually.

I do not currently have any other zwave or zigby devices and have been trying to research which is best but it seems the both do the same job in the end. I assume I need some sort of hub? or can i run it on my server along side HA?

Can I ask what you went with and what you think of it?

How reliable is auto unlock/smart entry as you get home? is this done using HA zones?
My one concern is to do with how it actually works. If I go into my yard or even the back of the house out of the range of the lock and then come back towards the lock, will it unlock my front door all the time?

Can you set up guest pins easily enough? is this done within HA or through something else?

Can you see logs of who opened the door, how and when?

Thanks for any insight

Maybe I am just better waiting for Yale to release a lock with the features I want. I know there is alot more development to be done in this space. The main thing I am looking for is the finger print reader built into the lock.

Correct. You’ll need a zigbee or zwave hub to use the respective devices - they’re usually USB Sticks that will work with HA . Have a poke around here or on r/homeassistant on reddit and you’ll find a heap of reccomendations.

However, I only noticed last night that they now offer something called the Yale Connect module that works with a proprietary hub which could be a good all-in-one solution for you.

I love it, it makes everything so much easier - no keys, no worries about hands free unlock, etc.

If you use the HA companion app for your phone it’s pretty reliable and with zones you can specify the size of the zone as the tracking works via the GPS in your phone so you would be able to size to include the back of your house.

Yes, however, HA doesn’t handle this, it is done directly on the lock or through an app. From what I read last night as well, if you use the yale connect module/app/hub you’re able to assign guest codes that expire after n days or only work at a set time of day.

@Luke1 - I do a fair bit of work with my hands so they’re always dirty/cut-up that fingerprint sensors don’t really work that well for me.

Thank you Olle.

I have seen the Yale connect solution. It is an August partnership apparently. Looking at reviews of the Yale app in the play store is pretty concerning though. I was concerned about reliability of the auto unlock but like everything else in theory.

If I was to go the zwave/ZigBee route, my always on server is 3 rooms away from the front door so range could be a problem. With the connect bridge at least it can go in any old PowerPoint and connect to my wifi (I think).

1 Like

Yes and with zigbee any old powerpoint can have a router plugged in.

I have a home mesh wifi everywhere already. I thought the ZigBee dongle needed to be on a computer though?

You are confusing the co-ordinator (which needs to be on a computer) and a router which is usually able to be fed with 5v and operates independently. Also most mains powered zigbee devices are routers.

Having good wifi will make a difference to any assessment though. So many people seem to think their ISP provided piece of crap AP is going to automate scores of devices in their home.

Right thankyou. So I would need a standalone ZigBee/zwave router (probably) in my setup to give me the range needed.

A standalone router or a mains powered zigbee device. Or it may work with a decent co-ordinator 3 rooms away. This guy makes good co-ordinators and routers Tube's ZB Coordinators and Routers (was Zigbee router on steroids?)

I’ve got a couple of the yale Zigbee locks, been rock solid with zero issues (so far). Would definitely recommend them.

Hey @Eoin

Do you use auto unlock?

Not sure what you mean by auto unlock? I do have multiple automations that lock/unlock them depending on specific events such as time, presence etc if that’s what you’re referring too?

Yes sorry, I specifically mean unlocking automatically when someone arrives home.

I mentioned it above but my wife is paranoid so auto locking all the time would be necessary too.

The Yale connect bridge thingo advertises these features so was just checking it could be achieved with zigbee too.

Unsure if there is a native autolock, I’ve not seen it documented anywhere. I do however have automation which locks when the door has been unlocked for x if no one is home and/or at night.

I can see where your wife is coming from and paranoia can be a good thing, particularly when discussing your home security. I can say my wife loves the fact she does not need to stand in the rain to find her keys when she gets home however :slight_smile:

The advertising for the Yale connect bridge module refers to auto locking after a set time period although thinking about it again, manual control of that would at least mean I don’t get locked out while doing something in the front garden or garage.

It also mentioned a door position sensor but the instructions for installing it come with the bridge kit itself so guessing it’s unique to that module also?

Is there some specific documentation you have for the ZigBee module? I’m new so thirsty for info.