Smart Garden Tap Water - On and Off

I’ve been in direct contact with their product team.

Not sure how to find out but keep an eye out for the version mentioned below.

The public version is expected to be released before August 3, 2023, and the version string will start with “x060820” (x is S or G, indicating that the firmware belongs to GW-01 or GW-02, respectively).

1 Like

Is this a firmware update? Is that done via the app?

Firmware updates are managed by linktap its not something you have to do yourself.

1 Like

awesome, thank you! for this. So it will not work until that firmware update, correct?
Looks good so far!

What is released now works, but you have to set it up per tap, rather than per gateway.

Once the change is released, setup will be per gateway, and all taps added automatically.

The new release also supports water by minutes, AND water by volume, although water by volume is pending yet another release from the linktap team.

There are a few other improvments too.

Note it will require removing the existing integration, and restarting, before re-configuring the new one.

But all entity_ids, device names etc should remain intact.

2 Likes

Apologies for jumping in, but I am after a smart sprinkler (I just posted a little while ago here) and during my searching I found the Link-Tap water timers.

Has anyone had any success with pairing their Link-Tap water timers with a Home Assistant Zigbee gateway and so it becomes the part of the Home Assistant Zigbee network, or must we use the additional Link-Tap gateway?

I saw that they have the some limited data on using it with MQTT, but that seems to go via their gateway if I am not mistaken.

Any help or additional info would be appreciated.

Mike

That does not work. You need the gateway.

1 Like

They use a proprietary version of zigbee, so any non linktap gateway will not work.

The MQTT integration (and my new local HTTP integration) is all via the gateway, not direct to the end device.

2 Likes

Yes, saw that but didn’t reply as you wrote inexpensive.
There are much cheaper options out there (but I would question their reliability) - very glad I bought LinkTap.

Your pairing question has already been answered :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks for all the responses.

The reason I said inexpensive because for my usecase it would be for a smallish garden and I only need it to work for a couple of weeks a year when I am on holiday.
I am sure Link-Tap’s solution is one of the better options available and it is nice that they already support Home Assistant via MQTT, but really I don’t want to start spending £100+ for this.

It is a shame they use a proprietary version of Zigbee, in summary it seems you’re forced to shell out for another piece of kit that has only one use and potentially adds more noise to what you already have. At the moment, it is the gateway that is the deal breaker for me (and the additional cost of it).

It is at times like this where I wish I knew a bit more about programming and could reverse engineer these protocols and create an emulated gateway similar to the one we have with Hue. Maybe one day :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks,

Mike

1 Like

There are some bluetooth options that work with HA; so there is no requirement for an additional hub.

FWIW you could use a sonoff SV or an esp8266/32 and esphome with a cheap water solenoid. I have a couple of these I setup many years ago that are still going strong.

Sure, its not strictly wireless but in some situations that isnt necessarily required.

1 Like

For those now following my component, the release was meant to go live prior to today.

If you have a version of x060820” (x is S or G, indicating that the firmware belongs to GW-01 or GW-02, respectively) or higher, it should work.

If not, stay on 0.0.x

Has anybody else found that if it hasn’t been used for a while (24 hours) and you attempt to turn it on from HA it doesn’t? The switch remains ON but the Watering is Watering remains OFF.

If I switch it off and then on again it works.

Doing the same (24 hours later) from the LinkTap app works fine.

I notice something similar each day. The first “watering start” command gets ignored every day, then everything works as expected.
I now run a loop in the automation until the “wateringON” notification is recieved from the linktap, but it’s so reliable that I could as well just send the first “watering start” twice.

Yes. That happens to me with the first start, nothing happens. I have four zones and when I run an automation to have them run in sequence, after the first false start on the first zone, they all run fine, so I am guessing it is the gateway waking up.

Ok thanks both, good to know it’s not just me. I’ll report it to LinkTap.

@kann, good tip. I was thinking of doing this too.

I recently have a second problem inconvenience.
I use the waterOff notification to store the “volume” and “velocity” for that watering, but regularly that velocity is zero. First it was only one linktap with 20% battery, but now a second one had the same issue.
I also noticed that the watering shows a normal velocity until the very end of the watering, than the linktap sends a “back online” notification and a “waterOff” notification with the faulty velocity.

I just want to say thank you for the awesome integration! I much prefer it over the MQTT. Thank you!

Completely agree that this is amazing. Great idea to get the volume units from the gateway and use that on the device config entry. I am wondering if you’d like help to expand this to make a bit more universal. For example, I need one of my taplinkers to run longer than 120 minutes and so needed to make a change in number.py to make max time longer than 120 and show as a box instead of a slider on the device configuration page as once a slider’s max time value goes over 120 it is quite hard to dial in the proper number.

Im not particularly wed to how the duration is entered, My 120 minutes was a somewhat arbitrary decision.

Having it go all the way down to 5 potentially doesnt make a heap of sense, so maybe its better to make it start at 30 and go higher than 120