Smart Garden Tap Water - On and Off

Did anyone else notice that the LinkTap lost its mqtt account/password? About 40 hours ago it stopped publishing and I only noticed now. I wonder if they did an update or how that could happen.

Yes - that happened to me.

I noticed yesterday that all my sprinklers were off-line and I had to re-enter the mqtt credentials to restore them.

No idea what caused this, unless it was the 2022-07 updates to HA.

I reached out to customer support. Here is what they replied:

ā€œWe just pushed a new gateway firmware release, which deleted the current MQTT/HA configuration of your gateway. We will fix the issue later. Meanwhile pls reconfigure the MQTT/HA settings of your gateway to get your HA working.ā€

Thatā€™s good to know. Jack is very responsive for customer service. Itā€™s just a pity about this glitch because it will affect a lot of people.

Latest versions of Linktap firmware with MQTT should republish HA data when HA restarts. It shouldnā€™t be necessary to manually reboot the gateway each time. Also HA auto discovery information is now only published at startup/HA online status change. For me, these changes have resulted in much better stability of the system, and allowed running of Zigbee2MQTT simultaneously. I also recommend using the HA water_duration feature introduced in v1.7 of MQTT firmware as a failsafe if youā€™re controlling via HA.

This is great! Iā€™m in the market for a ZigBee valve and the LinkTap seems to be the way to go.
Iā€™m currently using Zigbee2MQTT to run all my sonoff devices. I saw someone mentioned that this pairs nicely with Z2M. I donā€™t see LinkTap in the supported devices for Z2M. Iā€™m hoping someone could entertain a few questions :slight_smile:

1. For clarification, will I be able to run (or pair) this device using Z2M or do I still need the gateway provided from LinkTap? Does the LinkTap gateway pair with Z2M?

2. If I have to use the LinkTap gateway, does it Integrate into Z2M device list or does it remaine separate in HA?

3. Will the LinkTap Gateway act as a router in my ZigBee network?

Thanks for the help

AFAIK, it does not work directly via zigbee. The brains are in the gateway. The gateway connects to HA via MQTT. It is possible the valves use zigbee but Iā€™ve not seen mention of how to make that work.

1. You need the gateway
  2. Separate
  3. No
1 Like

As Pete says - it uses its own flavour of zigbee so other zigbee devices wonā€™t work with it.

(Edit: to remove garble - $%^& auto correct!)

Awesome,
Thanks for the info :slight_smile:

Cheers

Hey mark, thank you for the info. Where can I learn about this v1.7 firmware?
I am not sure I can follow you.

This is the link to the latest version of the MQTT guide (v1.7). The firmware itself has different versions depending upon gateway version. See earlier post by @peterage
https://linktap-static.s3.amazonaws.com/manual/LinkTap_Gateway_MQTT_Client_Integration.pdf

Thank you. That looks convenient, but I think I will continue using the rest_command for now since I got it setup already.

Btw. if anyone has a reliable way to track water volume and velocity for each irrigation, I would be happy if you could share it. I am still using the wateringOff notification message to track the irrigation, but it isnā€™t perfectly reliable. Sometimes the wateringOff notification seems to be duplicated with zero values and I cant just ignore them by default. That messes up my whole system.

I have just purchased two valves + gateway in replacement of my unreliable Woox valves.

I have been though the documentation provided in this link and Iā€™ve read a big chunk of this thread (not all of it as itā€™s too long).

It is not clear to me if I still need to upgrade the firmware in order to make it work with home assistant or if I just need to follow the steps in the documentation ? (I have not received the devices yet so Iā€™m planning ahead here).
EDIT : I found the answer to this first question : Wireless Watering System - LinkTap

Second question, does it work with z2m or do i just configure mqtt broker as described in the documentation and forget about z2M for this device ?

Forget about z2m

1 Like

It uses its own flavour of Zigbee, so it will not appear in Z2M. The valves do appear in Mosquito broker.

1 Like

Hi All, this is more an MQTT question, (but related to LinkTap) so hoping Iā€™ll get some support here.
I have a button which, when pressed" calls MQTT service to set the ā€œHose-Orchard_failsafe_durationā€ value.
It works when use this code:

type: button
    tap_action:
      action: call-service
      service: mqtt.publish
      data:
        topic: homeassistant/water_duration
        payload: '{"id":"e9454121004b1200","duration":25}'
      target: {}

But with this code:

type: button
    tap_action:
      action: call-service
      service: mqtt.publish
      data:
        payload: >-
          {"id":"e9454121004b1200","duration":""{
          states('input_number.hose_orchard_water_duration') | int }}"
      target: {}

I get no success. I have checked the logs and there are no errors. I have tried many variations on the above template section, but with no results.
If anyone can shed light on the correct code, I would really appreciate it.

thanks in advance!

This is my script which does something similar to what you are looking forā€¦

alias: Irrigate Back
sequence:
  - service: mqtt.publish
    data:
      payload: |-
        { 
          "id": "b2683d24004b1200",
          "duration": {{ states('input_number.irrigation_time')|int (default = 0)*60 }}
        }
  - service: switch.turn_on
    target:
      entity_id: switch.b2683d24004b1200_water_switch
    data: {}
  - delay:
      minutes: "{{ states('input_number.irrigation_time') }}"
  - service: switch.turn_off
    data: {}
    target:
      entity_id: switch.b2683d24004b1200_water_switch
mode: single
icon: mdi:water
2 Likes

Hi,

Iā€™d appreciate some help.

I have mosquito running on an RPI (OS=DietPi) with HA Container (running in docker). I have had MQTT setup for ages and linked to Z2M - all good.

I have setup my gateway as follows (clientID & password removed):

ā€¦but my Linktap MQTT connection status is pernamently ā€˜connectingā€™.

Any suggestions?

Firewall issue on your docker host?

Thanks for your reply!

I donā€™t think so; Z2M is talking to Mosquitto and Mosquitto is talking to HA.

edit: My mosquito logs show this (repeated over and over):

Jun 24 18:04:12 DietPi mosquitto[442]: 1687626252: New connection from 192.168.1.209:65153 on port 1883.
Jun 24 18:04:12 DietPi mosquitto[442]: 1687626252: New client connected from 192.168.1.209:65153 as 12AA3C27004B1200 (p2, c1, k120, u'mosquitto').
Jun 24 18:04:12 DietPi mosquitto[442]: 1687626252: Client 12AA3C27004B1200 disconnected due to malformed packet.

192.168.1.209 is my TapLink gateway.

edit: changed these settings and now it shows as connected in the mosquito logs. Strange because I am sure this is how I first tried it (but must have had something else wrong at the time).

Screenshot 2023-06-24 at 18.09.30

However, till not showing anything in the MQTT integration in HA. I think Iā€™ll reboot everything and see what happens.

Edit: The taplink gateway still shows connected to Mosquitto, but Mosquitto still only showed my Z2M devices in HA, any suggestions will be gratefully received.

edit: it now shows itself in HA - I had forgotten to switch the G2-S unit itself on - doh!).