Smart heating scheduler for Home Assistant (extra: multi-zones version)

Example folders on GitHub updated to make it compatible with latest HA.

1 Like

Hi!

Yepp, mines are NO as well. Yes there are adaptive pumps on the market, but i found it too noisy (pwm modulation freaks me out), and changed back to normal. …maybe it was a cheap one.

For now i have figured out how to manage the situation to fulfill my fail-safe setup and my needs.
(requirement: pump via NC relay contacts, actuators via NO relay contacts; so if the HA is powered off, because of malfunction, i can adjust max. temp via series manual thermostat)

I have to use +1 relay (i have an 8ch relay board so i can) to cut off the main power from actuators if pump not running, with this, i can cut off all and not heat the actuators if not needed, and when pump start, they are start all open… I tried but i cannot manage that on easier way, will make a drawing, i think it can be a full failsafe system.

Thanks for the templating!

Hi,

home-away.yaml would also needs to be updated i think:

"Template warning: 'as_timestamp' got invalid input 'None' when rendering template '{{ ( as_timestamp(now()) - as_timestamp(state_attr('automation.heating_off_when_get_home', 'last_triggered')) | int(0) ) > 1800 }}' but no default was specified. Currently 'as_timestamp' will return 'None', however this template will fail to render in Home Assistant core 2021.12"

Maybe its:

'{{ ( as_timestamp(now()) - as_timestamp(state_attr('automation.heating_off_when_get_home', 'last_triggered'))| float(default=0) | int(0) ) > 1800 }}' 

?

Thx,
Viktor

So, here is my config, with switch logic:

if the HA needs to be turned off, or stuck on heating, because of malfunction, i can adjust temp (also limit max temp) via series manual thermostat on pump wire.

Also i have to use +1 relay “wax” (i have an 8ch relay board so i can) to cut off the main power from actuators if pump not running, with this, i can cut off all and not heat the actuators itself if not needed, and when pump start, they are all open by default, and start closing the unneded ones.

Actuator 1-5 are:
5: nappali_perem
6: nappali_belso
13: eloszoba_furdo
16: halo_belso
19: halo_perem

##### Raspberry PI with relay hat

- platform: rpi_gpio
  ports:
     5: nappali_perem 
     6: nappali_belso
     13: eloszoba_furdo
     16: halo_belso
     19: halo_perem
     20: wax
 #    21: radiator_pump
     26: main_pump
  invert_logic: False

Viktor

Hello,
can anyone provide a view how is that solution reliable compare to solutions from Tado, Honeywell, or that one Systémy pro inteligentní dům , i think these solutions use some fuzzy logic how to manage valves etc… is it possible to achieve same functionality here?

thanks!

One would need to have a Tado, Honeywell etc system to have the knowledge on what and how to compare.
Please describe what kind of fuzzy logic you think about.

@robi hello, could you elaborate a bit? I had Honeywell but i didnt like it.

All these Tado, honeywell presents themselves as super smart… fuzzy logic ie … assume the boiler is on … heating once you reach room temperature, but it teach itself for example for how long room gets cold so it somehow proactively starts heating before it fall below some level, so u don’t have to wait to get expected temperature etc…

thats why i am wondering how this system can manage such behavior etc.

appreciate.

No, that kind of logic is not (yet) supported.

@robi well, so does it work reliable etc… i am still not clear how to solve such an solution.

I am using it for 2 years now.

hi @robi
i went thru the whole thread but there are still not clear items…

1. what radiator valves did u use?
  2. whats the final thermometer that was used?
  3. does Sonoff Mini Switch Module handle 16A on relay? (seems per spec only 10A, wondering if there is similar module that can handle 16A?)

thank you!

1. At the moment I’m still using the old heating system with fixed valves, the main switch of this package just commands the thermostat input of the boiler.
  2. Purchased several models of wireless thermometers - all failed due to various reasons. They are simply not reliable enough to be used in such a system. I still use Dallas DS18B20 sensors connected to ESP8266 in each room (mounted in Geeklink IR blasters doubling as IR controllers for other devices in the same room. Just moved from Tasmota to testing ESPHome on these). Also evaluating SHTC3 sensors which according to the datasheet have a precision of ±0.2°C @ -40°C to +125°C and humidity.
  3. Don’t know, as I don’t switch that much current through any of my relays.

In my newly built system I will use valves equipped with this kind of thermal actuators (normal open version, 24V):
kép

The main relay board I will employ to control all the valve actuators in all the zones, will be a card like this one:

It communicates with ESPHome through MODBUS RTU protocol, has quality OMRON relays placed in sockets on the PCB.

I’m already testing ESPHome running on ESP32-POE-ISO:

Runs super-reliable with the above card (and a TTL-RS485 Serial Converter (MAX485) in between), I must say I’m impressed.

I strongly recommend everyone to check this PID controlled thermostat instead of HA’s built-in generic_thermostat. Can be replaced plug-and-play inside the configuration, and allows much finer control of heating. It’s available in HACS:

1 Like

Hi Robi,

This relay board is a good find with relays in sockets, thx for sharing!
Note that it can be noisy if you would place it near to living zone.
Im using this relay board below with Rpi3B+ 64, in a sealed box in a wc next to the bedroom (1wall)
and the switch noise is acceptable in that way. -bigger relays can be more noisy!-

Im using DS18b20 sensors as well, with shielded wires pulled in through the pipes in the wall paralell to electricity wires.
They are working well, even the longest wire is about 15m, im using 3sensors for 1GPIO on Rpi, with 2.2K pullup.

Viktor

Hi Phier,

you can drive your high current contactor drive coils from sonoff board relay outputs (not so sophisticated but working).
Or if you are more familiar with electronics, you can search for an appropriate optocoupler driver beetween your sonoff GPIO output and your contactor coil drive current needs.
It can be more reliable as not using 1more moving element.

Viktor

Hi Robi,

Just want to say that my system based on your work is running well, and thank you so much for your work and to share it with us, good job!

One thing that i reailzed on usage is, when i turn timer_switch or override_switch onoff when the system is in away mode, the automated temperature levels are not set back to away temp values., i have to manually trigger climate on frontend to away-none-away to set the correct values back.
I have tried to fix it somehow but failed…

Thx,
Viktor

I’ll have a look.

My relays will be in the basement so no problem with the relays ticking noise there.

is it possible to use a smart thermostat valve? do yo need to convert them to switches then? and how is that gonna work, is it just gonna full open and full close all the time?

At the moment it is tested to use HA’s built-in generic_thermostat or the smart_thermostat custom integration above.

But it could adapt to any other kind climate integration.