Smart kettle advice

Hello everyone,

I’m currently looking to replace my kettle with a smart one. Eventually, getting its state in HA would be a very cool feature in addition to being able to start it in custom automations.

I’ve looked at the available models on the internet:

• Xiaomi have made a promising device but it can’t be started from the app, you can only use it manually so it’s pretty useless. It’s also Bluetooth and I would prefer to avoid this protocol if possible…
  • Kogan have made a wifi model that is compatible with Tuya or Tasmota apparently. However I found that the newer model (v3.0) is currently not supported due to an update of the firmware (the old model is not for sell anymore…)
  • Appkettle is a wifi model that look to be quite popular but the API is closed and you can only use IFTTT to include it in HA. IFTTT going on a paid model, I would like to avoid it if possible (beside the latency).

However, I found this for the Appkettle: https://github.com/tinaught/appkettleapi
Someone have started to reverse engineer the protocol and I would like to know if an HA user already use it ? I think we could make a component or an addon for Hassio with this code. Is someone interested ?

Thank you !

See Boil my smart kettle from HA for AppKettle info/progress.

Hi,
I’m looking to do the same. I’ve just had an email informing that my WeeKett Smart WiFi Kettle is on its way. I did see a youtube vid where a guy asks alex to boil the kettle and specified how hot he wanted the water. I’m positive there’s info out the about possible esp32 stuff.

Hope this helps

NTBlade

In case anyone else ends up here, AppKettle went out of business and discontinued this. Stay clear.

3 Likes

I have a wifi Smarter iKettle gen.1 (I think they’re up to gen.3 now) that I’ve hacked based on this and added all of its functionality into node-red. So I can basically use it for automations without any issue.
I’m currently looking into what would be the nicest way of bringing it into the home assistant dashboard, and maybe somehow into google home too.

118 Euro for Kettle?

hoq did you go in the end? In the market for a HASS capable kettle

I just got a smart kettle that works with HA… it uses the Tuya integration (a.k.a. SmarLife App). Here’s the link:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08MVRFBNN?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

HA does not have all the same features as you get controlling the device through the phone app, but you can turn the boil on and off and turn on the keep warm function. I would say the kettle is fine, works as advertised, kind of annoyingly loud beeps and bright lights though (because it’s smart!). It was a giant pain to get it to connect to the 2.4ghz antenna, but it worked eventually.

Hope this helps!

I went the DIY route with this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Haden-Richmond-Kettle-Temperature-Stainless-Steel/dp/B084ZP6W41/ref=sr_1_12?crid=3I176LC1RBMLV&keywords=haden+kettle&qid=1671882244&sprefix=haden%2Caps%2C106&sr=8-12 added a D1 mini to the base, and have on/off control, status and water temprerture.

1 Like

Hi

For those in the UK I bought the WeeKett from Amazon and I can confirm it works via the Tuya integration.

Can see the kettle status and turn the kettle on, see the current temperature of the water and change the temperature. Can also enable the keep warm feature.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Smart-Kettle-WEEKETT-Compatible-Temperature/dp/B09N9VSTGH/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=2AJJJ0HAK04ID&keywords=weekett&qid=1675295323&sprefix=weekett%2Caps%2C72&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

6 Likes

How did you get it to work managed to get weekett to switch on and off but cannot get temp controll or anything else just says entity not available for sensor etc kettle only works as set as switch

Used the Tuya integration for this.

I added my WeeKett in the Tuya app (not their own app), and I get all the options, maybe give that a go?

Has anyone tried the newly released Swan Alexa Kettle yet? Given it’s an Alexa product (works with the Alexa app), I suspect it’s going to be a pain to integrate into Home Assistant. However, I prefer the look (aesthetics) of this to the WeeKett.

I would be really interested to know more details on how you did this. I assume it would work with most kettles? I like the Sage Smart Kettle, as it matches my coffee machine, but although they call it a smart kettle, it isn’t actually smart i.e. connected.

The kettle neads to have the controls in a base, and all I did with a D1 mini is “switch” the original switches within the base.

Thanks for the reply. Sorry, I am new to DIY’ing stuff like this. Are if you are able to provide some basic instructions? I’d really like to go down this route with the Sage kettle mentioned above (it sounds like it should be possible as the controls are in the base). It would be really helpful to know what connected to which terminal on the D1 mini and any code you used (I am assuming in ESPHome)?

I would not be able to recommend anything, as the controls and voltage, and switch polarity are all unknown. Also with it been a mains device it could be dangerous if you are not 100% sure what you are doing. I would recommend watching a load of YouTube videos on esp home and D1 minis. I would recommend watching 3ative on YouTube that’s where I started to learn about d1s.

1 Like

I’m looking at getting a smart kettle here in the UK, so this Richmond could be the winner (plus I’ve got lots of esp32/8266 D1 minis sitting about).

Can you let me know how you did this?

(You’d be sending my overall WAF into the stratosphere!)

I opened the kettle base with the buttons, and with a d1 mini and a small relay just shorted the “boil” contacts. I did try using just the output from the D1 and it did work, but the button itself stopped working. I also used a small 240v to 5vDC converter for the power supply for the D1 as the internal 5v power could not supply enough current. Open the base up and post some pictures and I may be able to help.

1 Like