Smart lawn watering - searching for smart irrigation valves connected to HA

Hi all,

I do have a small lawn in my backyard with automated watering. I currently use 2x WOOX ZigBee Garden Valves since I do have two loops. Unfortunately one just died since water came into the electronics and the other one does not react always and sometimes has a delay. So Iโ€™m wondering if I can trust it.

Therefore Iโ€™d like to buy another one that hopefully fulfills all my requirements:

• No cloud, connected locally only
  • No gateway in between I do have a zigbee stick for HA, WiFi, Bluetooth and could think about Matter (Thread)
  • Distance between HA is roughly 7 meters with one wall in between.
  • Nice to have: Water consumption
  • I donโ€™t want to built it my self. Iโ€™d rather buy something from the market

I already ordered an RTX ZVG1. Unfortunately I canโ€™t get it to work via Zigbee with Conbee II and deCONZ. It was paired but does not have any functionality whatsoever. I also canโ€™t see it in the phoscon app. If you have any tips regarding this, Iโ€™d also be very grateful. I still have it here but most likely will send it back.

Do you have any suggestions which one to get in germany without spending 100 of euros?

Environment:

• My HAOS runs on an Intel NUC
  • I do use Node Red for automations
  • For Zigbee I use ConBee II with deCONZ / Phoscon

Thank you very much!

self build maybe? :hammer_and_wrench: :construction_worker_man:

A simple (or sophisticated) setup based on a esp, some valves, relays and flow meter should be possible for around 25โ‚ฌ when ordered directly from the country of manufacture :cn::package::airplane::truck::house:

Some esphome sprinkler goodness on it and you are ready to go :raised_hands:

../_images/sprinkler.png

1 Like

Hey there,

thanks for your answer. I appreaciate people building all this but Iโ€™m not that self build guy. Iโ€™d like to buy something I can โ€œjustโ€ use.

Looks fancy what you got there :smiley:

kind regards
F4Ck0R

Is it possible to share your setup? Iโ€™m especially intersted in how you made your valves waterproof and suitable for outside use.
Thanks!

What detail do you need? Itโ€™s really easy and you can make use of a lotโ€™s of components (maybe already in your drawer :card_file_box:?)

• esp82xx, esp32 or a raspberry pi pico for the :brain: of operation
  • 12V DC PSU (or something else :zap:)
  • Valves, for example 12V DC (or again, something else :potable_water:)
  • Some flow meter if you wanna know the amount of water (specially useful if you have alternating pressure on the system - for example because of using a tank which stores rainwater :sweat_drops:)
  • some relays (which fit your valves, typically all AC/DC ones will do or maybe some solid state ones :control_knobs:)
  • DC-DC buck converter to power the esp/pipico from your PSU :tada:

Well, that was easy an cheap. I just upcycled :recycle: :do_not_litter: some pastic container (~5L) for that task and installed is as a cover like seen in the picture :point_down:

works :tm: since ages :raised_hands:

Hi, welcome to the forum.
Do you use other zigbee devices on your network and do those respond immediately?

You might have a look at this: Guide for Zigbee interference avoidance and network range/coverage optimization