Smart lock for European doors?

Any suggestions for smart lock that would fit European doors/cylinders?

My requirements are following:

• Cloud independence (if manufacturer goes bust I don’t want to loose access or functionality).
  • One or more of the following unlocking capabilities: fingerprint, keypad, NFC
  • Key access as a backup
  • Battery powered with battery level information/warning
  • Backend communication (to HA) via either WiFi or Zigbee (possibly Bluetooth)

I was looking at something like Nuki, but I believe that more than one of my requirements is not met with that product.

Ideas?

I don’t have an answer but I want this too. In addition I want:

1. Easy to install - doesn’t involve butchering my door.

2. Isn’t too big or noisy.

Is probably settle for the switchbot lock if only there was local communication between it and HA.

Nuki looks good but it’s expensive once you get all the parts needed.

1. Not too expensive.

Enough!

I think Nuki meets your requirements with the Wifi gateway. Fingerprint is now supported by the keypad.

Home Assistant communicates with the Wifi gateway directly. If you can still use the key in combination with the lock is dependent on your locking cylinder.

I Agree with lancer73.

We’re using a NUKI and open the door most of the time by scanning a NFC tag.
Communication to HA via the Bridge API

My impression (seems it was wrong) was that some Nuki functionalities require external cloud.

So if Nuki goes out of business tomorrow, can I effectively use any lock capabilities or will something not work?
For instance:

• What happens if I need to do a hard-reset of the lock? Is Nuki server access a must?
  • Can I add/remove users of the lock?
  • Is fingerprint keypad also net-free?

My biggest concern is actually independence related to company support. Or, alternatively, added resistance to potential hack of company servers.
Ideally I’d setup the lock without allowing it any connection to the internet, unless I’d want to do potential FW updates in the future.

I have a Nuki Smart Lock 3.0 and it’s fantastic. It works over Bluetooth, so you don’t really need a bridge to control it from our smartphone, just install the Nuki app, configure the lock and you are good to go. You don’t need the cloud at all, it is purely optional.

In addition, I didn’t want to spend money on their bridge to control the lock from the internet, so I found a python project that you can install in a RaspberryPi to act as a bridge. This way HomeAssistant communicates with a server installed in the RPi, which communicates with the Nuki Lock via Bluetooth.

This is the project GitHub - dauden1184/RaspiNukiBridge: Simple Nuki Bridge implementation using asyncio

There are also some add-ons that ease up the process but they ended up consuming too many resources and the Pi couldn’t keep up (RPi 3B+). With a NUC or similar it would work properly I suppose.
The Bridge install needs a bit of configuration but everything is pretty straightforward.

Also don’t use the Nuki HomeAssistant integration, use this one since it’s much more complete:

It comes with 2 types of holders, one with double-side super strong tape, and another with screws that tight around the key lock itself as you can see in this image:

Happy to help if needed.

2 Likes

To answer @Vlayke questions:

• If you need to do a hard reset of the lock you can do it with the app connecting to it via Bluetooth, so totally independent of Nuki Servers which are optional.
  • You can add/remove users from the lock and again is done via Bluetooth
  • I don’t have the fingerprint keypad but it works as well with Bluetooth connecting to the bridge. Although I’m not sure if the Python Bridge that I posted about above or the HomeAssistant integration supports keypad of fingerprint opening.
1 Like

I am using Tedee smart lock (no bridge, just BT control from HA to lock directly)

Keypad can be used directly with lock only (no need for bridge), but “ringer” is not working without it. I do not have a keypad myself. Also, it does have NFC reader, but is not active yet.

Thanks for the reply.
Seems I didn’t research Nuki far enough, before deciding it wasn’t OK for my use-case.

I think I’ll give it a go :slightly_smiling_face:

If you do then please let us know what parts you use and how you get on.

I created this post to illustrate how to install the lock with local control and without buying the Nuki Bridge that costs 100€. Total price for the Nuki Smart Lock 3.0 is 139€. Check it out and let me know what you think!

1 Like

Have a loqed now, hate it. WAF factor of 0, my next gamble would also be a Nuki :slight_smile:

2 Likes

One option for Euopean doors is Winkhaus locks, which are already fitted to many doors. Their AV2/3 range can be upgraded to electronic control by replacing the internal lock mechanism with a BlueMatic kit https://www.winkhaus.com/en/blog/bluematic-eav3-die-neue-motorische-automatikverriegelung. It’s completely hidden inside the door and the motor is simply driven by 12 volts to open the door.

1 Like

How is it integrated into home Assistant? I am looking into a new door for our house and we have been offered a Winkhaus lock with fingerprint sensor.
Can I se the doors status (open/closed/locked)?
Can I lock/unlock the door?
Can I manage/get information from the fingerprint reader?

There is no integration, you just use a relay (Shelley, Z-Wave, etc.) to switch 12v to the lock motor.
You can then create an automation to lock/unlock the door. The advantages are that it’s completely hidden and there are no batteries to replace.

I don’t know how the fingerprint reader works, but you could try contacting Winkhaus for this.

Few questions about Euro options:

1. Does anybody tried Tedee GO lock with Euro cylinder deadbold? Found no adapters so far, thinking about custom 3D printing possibly…
  2. Is it working fine with bluetoth_proxy component already? Or better to use their Tedee Hub?
  3. And the last one - is it possible to use 2 Tedee GO locks simultaniously with one Hub / proxy on one door?
    And what’s about Nuki 3.0 ? Can 2 locks be set on one door simultaniuosly?

Although this doesn’t help with @OwlBawl 's question, I’m waiting to see the Aqara U200 that was shown at IFA this year.

Did you buy a Nuki?
What is your experiecnce?

By the way: The new generation (Gen 4) provides Matter support as well.

Just for reference, I dropped this review over at Amazon based on recent Yale Conexis L2 experience. I’m just going to blatantly copy it here and hope that’s not a violation, but here are the other full escutcheon locks listed that I can find, and what I’m thinking about buying next (Blusafe, just because they’ll US ship, and they’re in Amazon, and are much cheaper in Amazon). At the tail end, this also mentions what I’m trying next with HA based on other reported successes with the Yale lock. But I’m definitely annoyed and disappointed with Yale.

Purchased this Yale Conexis L2 lockset in the US for an Emtek hardware door, so of course as expected, Yale is going to decline support on this lockset, saying this isn’t made for the US market - the principal reason being it only works with Yale Home which is only available in the UK Apple App Store. But in reality, this is a bigger issue with Yale and Assa Abloy (parent company) and just reflects why you shouldn’t buy a Yale Smartlock, and I’ll do you the courtesy of explaining why with this review if you bear with me.

The trouble with Yale’s story is the connection modules are all standard bluetooth and wifi, and there’s no reason for this except for Yale stupidity and support customer service reticence, which is par for the course for them (take a google tour of search results for Yale Conexis and Bluetooth and you’ll see what I mean).

The stupidity seems to be tied to Yale decisions to try to make extra bucks by selling you extra keys on an already expensive lock, and building that into an app and not being willing to let go of the opportunity to sell you more “slots” for keys, at least in my view. So if it weren’t for this, they’d make the enrollment process supported on standard apps, as it fits entirely within the technology footprint of their other lock sets and there is no reason for this (bluetooth, wifi, and the connection bridge all feature the same behaviors, protocols, and codebase). So what you end up with when buying Yale is a pretty badly broken and fragmented technology ecosystem, where you’re not going to get locks that work how you want.

This in my opinion has probably been even further exacerbated by the August Lock acquisition, and now you’ve seen various old Yale apps forcibly obsoleted for a landscape of multiple confusing apps today (Yale Access, Yale Home, August Home, Yale Accentra Access, Yale Secure, Assa Abloy Access, Assa Abloy Guardian… need I go on?) with duplicated functionality, but sprinkled around incompatibility at the same time, and its like trying to navigate an obstacle course to find what works.

Yale, or the parent company Assa Abloy should really have to go through training wheels school before they’re allowed to operate a business selling software dependent products, much less graduate to big kid panties. Now don’t get me wrong, the American manufactured hardware of these companies are nice, and that’s why you’re tempted to buy it. I know you are… why do you think I own this thing and am leaving this review, I fell right into that groove. But letting these guys try to do business with software is just what you’d expect from asking hammer and nail guys to write you some software… “to do what, hammer better?” You’re going to get a really great hammer and nail, but the rest of the experience is going to suck.

If you have a regular lock, try some other folks - Level Lock has been pretty good to me under abusive conditions elsewhere, and has held up despite some routine configuration annoyances (but at least you can get through them). Unfortunately, most of your Emtek type three point / five point lift the handle to lock door hardware is going to be euro cylinder based and come from the UK. But try some other options. I haven’t tried them yet, but I think Tedee, Nuki, Neatatmo and Danalock are options, but none have the integrated door handle and lock set configuration common to this Emtek multipoint style configuration with both handle and deadbolt in the “escutcheon” which I think is called a “full escutcheon”. For full escutcheon locks, it is even harder, but I’m leaning toward trying BluSafe next, but Avia and Ultion+Nuki is a decently packaged solution as well. I’d go with Avia as they look well designed, but they also have the feel of a pretty small company. BluSafe really looks like about the same hardware architecture as Yale, but with an actual software solution versus whatever you want to call what Yale is trying to do.

Meanwhile, before I bounce this one back, just for grins I’m going to throw together Home Assistant on a spare Raspberry Pi and a Z-wave repeater with a M5tech ESP32 bluetooth bridge running on the far end by my Yale lock, and try to grab it with a Yale Conexis plugin for Home Assistant. I already have Homebridge running which connects various wifi products to my Apple Home, and I can just feed in anything I want to manage through Home Assistant, then I may be happy enough with the Yale. But what a hack.