Smart Locks, User Experience: Schlage Encode Plus and Yale Assure 2 Plus

Greetings All, wanted to share my recent experience with these two smart lock solutions.

Bought a new home recently and have been going through process of restarting my home automation buildout. I first chose the Yale locks as I like the connectivity module as it seems to provide a nice upgrade path as things change. Wanted to have Apple Homekey support and a path to potentially upgrade to Matter/Thread when ready.

I installed three Yale locks. After about a week, one of the locks stopped accepting Apple Homekey requests. Relinking to Homekit and other attempts to resolve the issue had no effect.

One of the locks was a bit wonky when first installing with the pairing process being very hit or miss and within a few days of struggling with this lock, it stopped going into pairing mode entirely.

The third Yale lock had a keypad issue where the keypad would only stay lit for a couple of seconds as you entered your code and made no sound so there was not feedback on key presses.

After considerable amount of time spent on the phone and failed exchanges with Yale only sending me half a lock to swap out which did not resolve the issue I decided to send them all back and replace with Schlage.

The Schlage replacements were slightly more money. The install process went smoothly with exception that I discovered that you cannot pair these to Homekit through the Apple Home app. The process using Apple Home continues to report that the lock is not ready to be added. “Accessory not ready to connect”. After spending 30 minutes on hold to speak to someone in support we discovered that adding to Homekit through the Schlage did work in this case.

After entering entry codes for the few people I need to provide access for who don’t have an Apple device I was told on first attempt that the code did not work. After some debugging I discovered that no code worked on any of the three locks.

I’ve attached a picture of the lock keypad below. Intuitively (in my mind anyway) the user needs to press the keypad to get it to light up and my finger is drawn to the painted on arcs drawn in the middle of the keypad. After more research I figured out that touching the pad in this position enters the number 5 as the first digit of your keycode. After a call to Schlage Support, I was told that I need to press in the lower left over the barely visible Home symbol in order to activate the light on the keypad. I spoke to several people at Schlage trying to get some attention to what I feel is a horrible user experience. Based on the feedback I got, I am not hopeful this will get fixed. Guess I have to look at this as a security feature. :upside_down_face:

Hopefully someone else finds this useful.

Interesting, thanks for sharing. Especially the part about Schlage user interface!