Smart Meter Texas stops working

My old python setup for this had been rock solid, but stopped working recently after the winter storm that hit TX last week, so I’m not sure if there is any connection between the 2 events, but the timing sure feels right for it.

I decided to test the Node Red solution, and I get the same results. Looks like the same connection reset error is being reported by both the Node Red and the pysmtreader solutions.

I’m wondering if anyone is having any success with this these days.

There’s an issue on Smart Meter Texas’ side due to all of the power outages. It’ll probably take them some time to get things back up and running for their API.

My integration stopped working as well - does anyone has any updates from SMT ?
Appreciate.

This has never been really all that reliable, but it seems to be working as usual now.

I tried to add the integration today - and it work - so I am getting only the electric meter counter and I think in 1 hour intervals. Lets hope the integration stays alive - as @M0E-lnx said - it is not that reliable and I do agree 100%.

Tried adding the integration today, but it just kicks back saying that it “Failed to connect”.

Thoughts?

This is working fine for me now. This of course means I’ve come to terms with its limitations, so every now and again, it flickers on and off, but since I’m only interested in tracking Daily and Monthly energy usage, those smaller blips are not a big deal to me.

Yes, I’d love to get to this level of tracing. I’ll keep trying to add the integration… We’ll see if anything magically changes. Seams to me this is probably on SMT’s side, rather than HA.

Do you see anything of interest in the logs?
I run pysmtreader on a separate docker container which gives me more isolation and access to the logs.

I can check when the connection fails for example, and I can see the debugging output indicating why it may fail.

Honestly I’m not very log-savvy.

I’m getting the same error: “Failed to Connect” in July 2021.
If someone can tell a newbie where to find the logs, I’ll post it!

1 Like

I just noticed mine was also failing to connect. Had left it unattended for a long time, and just noticed the docker container was no longer resolving names for some reason. That was a quick fix on my end, but as far as I can tell it’s working on their end.

Any updates with this integration? Is this something that could be used to feed the new energy dashboard in HA?

I think I finally got this to a useable stage with SMT. Here are my notes on what it took. TLDR

As previous users have said: I tried the integration today, the account login credentials work perfectly on smartmetertexas.com but when I put them into the username and password in the HA Integration it says “failed to connect”.

There is nothing in the log file to troubleshoot.

That has been my experience also. I’ve tried re-installing the integration periodically since it stopped working, without success. I think it may be dead, either because SMT hasn’t exposed a working API, or maybe it’s a lack of dev support for the integration?

Either way, it’s ironic, since it worked for a few months after HA implemented their Energy dashboard. I guess the electric providers are focused on keeping the lights on for customers this winter.

I’ve been using the Node Red method listed in post 4 of this thread. It’s been working rock solid (including integration with the HA Energy dashboard) for more than a year, including during last years ice storm. So the issue appears to be with the integration, not with SMT.

It seems they added more verification to login process. Until someone updates it prob wont work anymore.

Are you referring to the official SMT integration or the Node-Red method? I’m using Node-Red and it’s been working perfectly. Someone I was speaking with tried it and is getting unavailable from all the sensors. Seems to be an issue with the API data. I wonder if it’s because it cannot connect due to login.

It’s been a year, but did you ever find out why you were receiving the values 0 and 1?