Smart plugs in The Netherlands that won't burn down your house

There are some Chinese products that seem enticing, but I’d like one that wouldn’t result in insurance companies not paying out when they cause a fire.

I don’t care about whether it uses Zigbee or Wifi or whatever. As long as it works with Home Assistant and continues to work for preferably a decade if not two decades. When suggesting something not using Wifi, please suggest a gateway type device to go with it.

I want the smart plug to measure power usage as well (if the measurement itself only takes a tiny bit of power, probably in several mW range). I want the plug to have a protective earth.

The Smartify plug would be fine if if works with Home assistant (which I don’t think it does).

I also want the product to be available.

I’m using the shelly plugs, they work directly in HA.

This is the only plug I can find, which handles the fully 16A load of a standard 240V group outlet and is sold here in Holland. So the only one, which should safely do washmachine, dryer, oven and such stuff.

If your plugged devices use less power, then Fibaro has nice plugs.

All plugs rated under 16A could accidentally burn. If the relay in the plug does not switch off it self, your safety switch (installatieautomaat) will cut off by 16A, and that is higher, than most of the plugs are rated for…

The chances for such accident are very low, but not gone.

My advice as electrician: Do not get the cheapest, you WILL regret it. :wink:

Proost!

1 Like

Is there also a version for perilex plugs?

So far I have never seen a smart Perilex plug

Your Perilex wall outlet is a straight cable out of your fusebox (meterkast).
You can use a “dumb” 3-phase contactor and switch it’s relays with a simple 1-phase smart switch all placed in the fusebox.

Not sure, how a 3-phase power meter will react to it. It should work fine, when the 2 phases in your Perilex are two DIFFERENT phases (like L1 and L2).

If they are both the same phase (like L1 and L1), you could use 2 pieces of 1-phase meters and then make a sum of the two readings.

https://www.momotica.nl/diversen/energie-meten/qubino-smart-meter-din-module-z-wave-plus/

Is there also one (perilex) that doesn’t measure and is cheaper for that reason?

The easiest and cheapest, but still safe and reliable way - 3 phase contactor and a simple wifi switch.

Materials:

https://www.elektroschakelmateriaal.nl/products/hager-esc425s-magneetschakelaar-25-a-4-maak-geruisarm-230v-ac-50-60hz-107961

Connection (inside your fusebox):

1 Like

Have a look at:

LEDVANCE Smart Plug

Frank

This is very useful. All we need to do now is figure out where the fusebox is. Yes, I am not joking :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Not sure whether that was sold out before you posted that, but right now it doesn’t meet the requirements of being available.

if i use a place like idealo (German search) i find several places where the plug is available within days:
https://www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/OffersOfProduct/6731207_-ledvance-smart-osram.html

1 Like

Usually on the same place, where you electricity meter is… :wink:

If only we had just one.

Then you may need to explain your situation, as it sounds quiet unusual… :slight_smile:

There are some intermediate switch boxes with their own meters and there is also 5m2 of cabinet full of DIN rails with modules I have no idea about what they do exactly with cables laid out like spaghetti.

On top of it multiple independent historical actors did their own electrical work without a master design document.

Oh man, is it some flat? This story screams - we want to see pic’s :smiley:

Do you at least know, where to change a fuse, when your water-cooker blows one? Do you know, which meter is yours, so you can control your bill?

Is it a rented place, or owned?

We have backup fuses (yes, it doesn’t have those switches you have in a house).

Yes, we know which meters are ours, but controlling the bill is a different, long story. If you know how to cheaply control the energy usage of independent sub units efficiently and measure it automatically that would be useful too. I think the answers in this topic somewhat answer it and it’s probably legally enforceable.

Right now, the energy usage is higher than required due to heavy HVAC equipment running when there is nobody there (some of it due to malice, some of it due to incompetence), etc.

We own it.

One of the things we are considering is turning off the pump of the floor heating in order to stop heating at night and if that doesn’t work, we will add some valves (more involved) to stop the flow of water.

We also want to control large climate control units, but we have no idea how, yet. They are wired up to the cabinet (400V), right now. Is anyone doing that with home assistant right now?

This really sounds like: You definitely want to clean out your own part of the whole installation, unspaghetti the wiring, make it easy to oversee, make a schematics of it, before you start with putting even more chaos in it :wink:

There’s only 5,000 pages of documentation or so. No biggie!

We have wiring diagrams, etc., but a huge bundle of wires with abbreviations that don’t make sense is still somewhat frightening for mere mortals. Using the power of logic, I was able to deduce that at least one circuit board (of which we have basic schematics) doesn’t work, but that would have to be replaced. Ideally, I would just have that drawing scanned into e.g. Kicad and have someone manufacture it, but I don’t think step 1 is automated anywhere in the world, so literally just a tiny, tiny part of the operation would already be a “project”.

Just understanding what a particular machine’s purpose is can sometimes already be challenging (e.g. if you don’t know what model it is), sometimes it seems the original HVAC designers were drunk (dimensions of various installations is either way too big or way too small).

It would probably be a good idea to get some help, but “help” is not the same as asking a vendor. We don’t mind paying, if there is a clear return on investment.

If you ask a vendor to speak in terms of ROI, it typically becomes silent.