Smart switch for 12v devices (especially 12v lights)

Has anyone found cheap smart switches designed for 12v DC powered devices (like 12v garden lights etc.)?

I’m aware of the Sonoff SV, but it’s a bit pricey ($16) for the number I’d potentially like to use (to allow switching of individual lights–I’m currently using a sonoff socket switch to control the 12v transformer, hence switching all of the outdoorights).

It’d also be nice to get something with a case (like the AC sonoff). I can 3d print cases if absolutely necessary, but would prefer not to need to (to many other projects on).

Any suggestions, or is the Sonoff SV the only real option? Thanks!

The sonoff SV is a quarter of that cost if you purchase direct from Itead: https://www.itead.cc/sonoff-sv.html

The 4 channel pro works out close to the same price per channel and has a case: https://www.itead.cc/smart-home/sonoff-4ch-pro.html it works from 5V to 24V DC

Are the 12v devices powered from AC-DC adapters? If so, you could get a cheap Tuya powerboard and flash it with Tasmota.

If you’re not afraid of the iron solder you may hack the sonoff basic into a “free relay” one. I did that some time ago and it worked well, but you still need to power it with 110-220v. Since you need more channels, perhaps a 8266+relays+esphome should be a better choice.

Okay… that is a lot cheaper from Itead (whenever I’ve checked their other gear its usually been cheaper on BangGood or Aliexpress)—thanks.

Does the 4 channel pro work when powered by 12V DC? I thought it still needed AC input power? (looking at the images it does look like there is a DC input with wiring suggestion for DC motors)—thanks again!

Not individually powered no… at the moment I’m powering three 12V “garden lights” (as area spots around the front of my garage doors, front footpath and garden gate) off of a single 12V transformer. I’d like to add some more to the same transformer (it can safely run about 20 of the ones I have—though not looking a quite that many), but would like finer control than my current all-on/all-off method.

The AC power requirement puts the Sonoff Basic off the table, but I had wondered if there were any ESP8266 + relay solutions around. I can swing a soldering iron if absolutely necessary (though I’m moderately useless as fine/detailed work), but prefer to avoid if possible (see my initial comment about cases… looking for minimum work… if possible).

Are you aware of a off-the-shelf (or almost off-the-shelf) EPS8266/relay options around (other than the Sonoff SV, which is basically that—though without a case)?

Thanks!

The 4 channel pro is starting to look pretty good… 4x Sononf SVs would be just under $AUD24 shipped (from Itead), and I could get the 4ch pro for $AUD28.26 from BangGood (includes case with buttons, and far less soldering—I’d just need to identify and solder the right tip on my DC input).