Smart Thermostat with HA integration UK

Hi all,

I’ve done some searching but struggling to find answers relating to a smart thermostat on the market in the UK that can be integrated with HA. Something that doesn’t connect to the cloud would be a plus!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I use Hive and generally happy with it. It is cloud based though but integrates well with HA

There’s quite a few listed here, but will need to check which ones are available in UK

1 Like

I’m using a Honeywell T6R (Honeywell Lyric) and this integrates with Home Assistant but again is cloud based.

1 Like

Thanks this actually looks like a really nice option. My concern with being cloud based is being connected to yet another 3rd party and being reliant on them maintaining their app/service.

Agree. So far it’s been reliable for me.

We’ve bought Anna from https://www.plugwise.com/ and Shelly wifi TRV’s from https://shellystore.co.uk/ on the strength of the HA blog from a couple of months back and it doesn’t need a cloud.

Plugwise isn’t uk based though so we had to pay import duty on it and it’s now stuck in delivery hell. :frowning:

The other one the blog mentioned is Products – Heating and climate control | Homematic IP

1 Like

We use Honeywell EVO Home. Works very well. It does require the cloud to integrate, but as I rarely touch it, that doesn’t really matter. Furthermore there is a project which is able to intercept the radio communications between the hub and the TRVs which avoids the use of the cloud so it is possible to use it without. We have everything, including hot water and boiler control.

The Anna looks really good! Would it be a 230V version for a Vailant boiler in the UK?

I downloaded the install guide for my boiler to check :grinning:. I expect it will be 230v though.

Yours might be in here Boiler Manuals & Additional Literature | Vaillant UK

Looks like I have both options on mine but the existing thermostat is on the 230v so will use that. Thanks for the recommendation I think I’m gonna go for it! Hopefully yours gets delivered before it gets any colder :sweat_smile:

Well it’s not like the existing thermostat/timer isn’t working, it’s just we can’t read the screen anymore so re-programming it has become a skill closer to clairvoyance.

Thought I’d share my update with this. Anna was really easy to install (with the help of my brother in law :sweat_smile:) and popped up straight away in home assistant and added to my dashboard.

So far the only teething issue I found was it became unavailable every few minutes which I believe was due to an ip clash with a couple of smart plugs. I’ve reserved an ip for Anna and the plugs on my router and that seems to have solved the issue.

I haven’t had time to play with the presets and scheduling yet but it looks very straight forward and easy to use via HA. Bonus points as it passed the wife test with flying colours.

1 Like

Likewise, mine arrived and is installed. The madly complicated bit for me was that my previous thermometer was wireless and the boiler had moved since we had a wired one, so I had to run a new wire to the hall.

That also meant I had to mount it on a back to allow the cable to come in from the bottom. I destroyed a 16A 4 way junction box.

HA setup was easy. The plugwise app is nice. It would be great if you could manage the plugwise schedules from inside HA and also add your own scenes but that can all be workes around.

1 Like

Actually, a couple of other notes.

Setup with the app didn’t seem to want me to set a static ip.

You can log in to anna using a local only app, or even a local web page if you figure out the username is ‘smile’, but changing the creds is impossible. It also sets up a remote internet proxy so you can use the app while away from your house, which you can’t disable either. It’s possible these hardcoded deets and tunnel settings could be stored at plugwise and could be exfiltrated. Blocking the internet for Anna would be enough to stop it but then you’d lose automatic firmware updates.

Correct, the password is fixed, it’s the Smile ID.

There are no plans to be able to create/update schedules from within HA.
This will require changes and/or additions to the HA frontend, not our (code-owners) cup of tea…

Fair enough!