Smartify (Zigbee) Dumb Battery Powered Devices?

Hey all. I have a few battery powered dumb devices that I’d like to smartify a bit. For example, an Easter decoration that lights up, powered by a couple internal AA batteries. I have to manually walk over to flip its switch to turn it on/off, like an animal.

Is there some very simple/small Zigbee device that could essentially open/close a circuit, such that I could route one of the dumb device’s wires through the smart switch, to control it via HASS? Even better if the thing had terminals that protected you from touching open wires (kinda like those WAGO lever nuts).

Or perhaps a Zigbee device that could supply some configurable voltage itself, powered by its own batteries, that I could wire onto the dumb device’s battery terminals?

Just get a outdoor smart power plug if you are needing to turn it on and off outside the home and plug it into a water resistant covered socket that is outside.

I think what he is looking for is a dry-contact switch.
I think Shelly makes one, but it is WiFi.

1 Like

Shelly are releasing z-wave based ones, was shown at the latest CES else they can look at the Aqara Dual Relay Module T2
as an alternative zigbee based option if they want to go that route.

Yeah not an outdoor outlet. Something that will smart-ly deliver power to a dumb device, by opening/closing a switch.

For battery operated devices you can just replace the batteries with options from https://batteryeliminatorstore.com/ then plug the USB side into a power brick that goes into a smart plug and just leave it in the on position on the device side when it has a switch.

It is obvious that we aren’t getting what you want to do. What do you want the switch to control?

I didn’t know these exist (Battery Eliminators), this is awesome, but holy price tags Batman!

Yea it was shared in another thread so I bookmarked myself… I plan to get a few for the motion sensors I have, the leak sensor I am using as my bed sensor and for the two switchbots… just need to make sure I get the right length for some of them.

Oh I’m sorry. A smart outlet is a step in the right direction for me, but I would also like the battery powered devices to remain battery powered. As in, I want to be able to place them up atop shelves and cabinets without running AC adapters to them. The existing dumb versions are very convenient in that way.

Those things are pretty cool.