SMB client

I would love to create a feature request for smb client connectivity to Hass/Home Assistant.
Currently HA has multiple features which operate on third-party files, starting from adding files to notifications and doing camera snapshots and ending on watching folders for changes.
Unfortunately all those functionalities are only limited to files hosted locally on HASS machine. With non-HASS version of HA, its easy to mount SMB/NFS share on host system, but as far as i understand, things get tricky with HASS. Even if HASS is running on a x86 host with SMB mounted, it wont be possible to link that SMB folder to Home Assistant container, as HA container is managed by Hass and will be recreated on next update (?).

I assume when you say HASS (short for Home Assistant) that you’re actually referring to the Hass.io installer??

Yes, I mean Hass.IO. At the moment im running Hass.IO in a docker on Ubuntu, but after doing some searching i found that HassOS users also have same problem

Samba for Ubuntu give you smb connectivity to the configuration files. For HassOS, the Samba addon provides similar utility.

This has already been implemented.

1 Like

Hi @anon34565116. You’re talking about HA/Hass being a Samba server sharing the configuration, but this feature request is about HA being SMB client, i.e. being able to mount and access SMB shares from within HA.

1 Like

Most OS’ will be able to mount Samba shares, with maybe the exception of hassio

If you have SAMBA installed on Ubuntu you already have the SMB client. It is part of SAMBA.

I do have those shares mounted on the host, but still no way of accessing those files from the Home Assistant. Other docker containers running on that machine can access samba shares through host, as their docker containers are linked to the relevant location. With Home Assistant & Hass I cannot link HA container to a location on host system, because HA container is not run manually.

You need to look at your Docker container configuration to add additional mount points after mounting in Ubuntu.
Another option would smb mount your shares off the HASS config folder. HASS can then access them.

Just don’t use hassio if it doesn’t suit your setup.

1 Like