Solar heat energy through windows via Forecast.Solar for cover and thermostat automation

I want to automation window shutters not using sun elevation, position, but to use forecast.solar integration. The most accurate way to calculate when to close blinds is by getting power/energy that heat house via window frame.
The typical sun power(irradiance) that is calculated for PV panels is 1000W/m2
Solar factor - g (%) is the coefficient of total solar energy transmittance; this is the sum of energy passing directly through the glass and energy radiated through the glass as a result of its heating. In other words, this is the amount of heat that passes through glass to our home (in winter - the more the better).
Typical window have solar factor within 40%-60% (Check your window supplier)

So our peek power of window is about 500W/m2. If we have window 1m x 1.3m this gives us 650Wp (watts in peak) of heat power.

Using Forecas.Solar I can add forecast for panel with 90 declination with 650Wp power. This should give me estimations of energy that I can block using my roller shutter. The only problem is that I can’t do this without affecting my energy dashboard.

Is there any way to add extra forecast solar entity for window without summing it into forecas for my photovoltaic installation ?

Only if all the light is converted to heat. Which is unlikely unless you have uber goth décor covered in Vantablack.

It it automatically added to the energy dashboard?

Yeah :slight_smile: Your right, to be absolutely clear I also should take into calculation wavelength and its heating power, but I believe that after few reflections great amount of solar power is converted into heat (what else can it be?)

There is no extra entity for my kitchen window forecast. If this forecast is checked, it is summed up into ‘sensor.energy_next_hour’ - not stand alone ‘sensor.energy_window_kitchen_next_hour’

Hi @luzik , using the Solar.forecast integration I have created two services for two separated solar modules. But I just use one in my energy dashboard. So actually your use case should work with that approach. Or did you already found a solution? Which integrations or automations do you use to process the solar power and to control the thermostats with this information? I am thinking about the implementation of some sort of model predictive control, but have not started yet.