SolarEdge keeps changing ip-address

Does anyone else using a SolarEdge inverter see it changing IP address regularly? Ive set it up with a manual IP address in the router, but still, every once in a too frequent while, I need to adapt my ping sensors to the changed IP address…

So, strictly speaking probably not a HA issue, but would hope anyone of you being able to give me a tip how to solve this?
thanks!

I think what you are looking for is either reserving the address in the DHCP settings on your router or setting a static IP on the SolarEdge device itself.

yes, thanks, that’s what I do, reserving the address in the router:

and yet it changes frequently (few times a week, just now as a matter of fact), forcing me to change the binary ping sensors all the time…

Anything in the router logs?

not really, at least not concerning the addresses involved. Can’t login to the inverter, or, set anything Ip- address related there.
Maybe there are ‘real life buttons’ for settings on the inverter, must check :wink:

Maybe another dhcp server active?

wouldn’t even know how that could be done on the router? but, let’s consider that an option, this is only happening to the SolarEdge inverter. Where would I start looking best? In the Inverter settings, or elsewhere.

How do I find if there is a rogue DHCP server on my Network?
I think the easiest way is to deactivate the dhcp server on your router and see if clients get ip’s anyway.

I would say this is most definitely a SolarEdge issue. I have only one DHCP-server, in the IP-range 172.16.0.0/12, and while the SolarEdge inverter initially after restart gets the DHCP (reserved) address, after a while it changes to a 169.* address. This is NOT coming from my DHCP server! This is the only device (out of 30-40 devices) connected to my network that behaves like this.

Did you find a solution to this?

Of course I could set a fixed IP in the SolareEdge inverter (or find out how to), but that seems extremely low tech…

:thinking:

A 169.* address is the IPv4 version of a Link-Local address which is a default address an interface assigns to itself if it doesn’t have a configured static IP nor a DHCP assigned address, but its not a well adopted convention in the IPv4 world. Just thinking out loud, but maybe the Inverter sees the DHCP lease expire and doesn’t automatically renew it and so starts using this link local address …just not sure.

Another thing that may be going on … A DHCP server typically binds a device’s MAC address with an IP address in the following way: DHCP Server gets a DHCP request from a DHCP Client device and looks inside the DHCP request and sees a “client hardware address” field (this should always be present) and this field is usually the MAC address of the client and from that the DHCP Server assigns the configured IP address. However that’s not the only method. It is possible for a DHCP client to send a request using some other DHCP based “options” other than MAC address. So I’m wondering if the inverter is using one of these options and the router is ignoring the “client hardware address”. Other than a rogue DHCP Server mentioned above, this is the only other way I can think of that would cause the inverter’s IP address to change. If this is the case, unfortunately I don’t know what can be done about it

2 Likes

My SolarEdge Inverter is also flipping IP address from the 192.x.x.x. to 169.x.x.x address space at the rate of about every 10 seconds. Its the only device of 50 on the network doing this, but I can’t see any problem as the Solar Edge is communicating fine with HA and back to the Solar Edge cloud.

So seems to be only an issue with Solar Edge, but I can’t see any problem with it.