Solcast Global Solar Power Forecast Integration

I get this error when I add this

Message malformed: extra keys not allowed @ data['automation']

I think you might have “automation:” already somewhere?

In that case, you can try to remove it.

Because I put mine in a separate config file (splitted).

I had the same issue. I remade my API key and deleted the JSON file and this fixed the issue.

1 Like

Does sensor.solcast_forecast_this_hour sensor actually update every hour regardless of when the last API update was?

I really am baffled why the raw data used for the energy dashboard isn’t available for general use, as this would be very helpful. I suppose one could manually parse the json file but it just seems silly when the data is clearly already known by HA.

I think that would be based on the API call for “that hour”?

We are limited to the amount of API call per day. Free account is 10 calls. If you have 2 sites configured, it will be counted as 2 API per call.

I have 2 sites, so, I can only call 5 times. When the weather is clear, the forecast is good match with the actual production more or less, otherwise not. Ideally is to call every 30 minutes.

Every API call gets at least 24 hours of predicted data though, so there is no reason to require another API call to update the “this hour” or “next hour” sensors. It’s all in the solcast.json file.

True, but if you observe the prediction data provided by Solcast at intervals over a 24 hour period there can be quite a bit of change of the daily total and the individual slot energy between successive predictions.
Therefore if wishing to use Solcast predictions to adjust the Target SoC of a storage battery charged overnight, for example, it is best to use Solcast predictions issued around midnight.

1 Like

Yeah, that doesn’t work that well in my area where the weather can change drastically. I don’t think this kind of situation can be forecasted with 24h basis. As I said, in mostly clear weather, Solcast does good forecast. But that’s the nature of this.

Yep, but then if during the day you want to turn on an appliance based on whether peak solar is in the present, future or past, you need the correct data (even if it might be less accurate than a more recent forecast).

Should update every hour

All the data from the JSON file is in the sensor under attributes. Have a read through this discussion here

1 Like

Yep, the new version fixes that issue, cheers. Thanks for the link, looks helpful.

Yes…

Because what they think it might be and what it actually changed as the day progressed can be very different.

Might start like

But then what you actually produce might not look like it at all… and its nice to see the forecast altered to the conditions

1 Like

I’m using the actual Solcast PV Solar version v3.0.40.
Solcast Integration in HA energy dashboard is working fine.

A working APEX chart config for Solcast short and/or long term forcast available to share within this thread???

Any help is appreciated.

1 Like

I have created a simple Apex-chart showing the estimated production for today and tomorrow:

The following YAML code is used.

type: custom:apexcharts-card
apex_config:
  chart:
    height: 350px
all_series_config:
  unit: ' kWh'
header:
  title: Solar forecast
  show: true
  standard_format: true
  show_states: true
  colorize_states: true
graph_span: 2d
span:
  start: day
  offset: '-0h'
now:
  show: true
  label: Now
yaxis:
  - id: kwh
    min: 0
    apex_config:
      tickAmount: 5
  - id: header_only
    show: false
series:
  - entity: sensor.solcast_forecast_today
    yaxis_id: kwh
    type: area
    name: Today
    color: orange
    data_generator: |
      var today = entity.attributes.forecast.map((start, index) => {
        return [new Date(start["period_start"]).getTime(), entity.attributes.forecast[index]["pv_estimate"]];
      });
      var data = today
      return data;
    show:
      legend_value: false
      in_header: false
    stroke_width: 3
    float_precision: 2
    extend_to: false
  - entity: sensor.solcast_forecast_tomorrow
    yaxis_id: kwh
    type: area
    name: Tomorrow
    color: grey
    data_generator: |
      var today = entity.attributes.forecast.map((start, index) => {
        return [new Date(start["period_start"]).getTime(), entity.attributes.forecast[index]["pv_estimate"]];
      });
      var data = today
      return data;
    show:
      legend_value: false
      in_header: false
    stroke_width: 3
    float_precision: 2
    extend_to: false
  - entity: sensor.solcast_forecast_today
    yaxis_id: header_only
    name: Today
    show:
      legend_value: true
      in_header: true
      in_chart: false
  - entity: sensor.solcast_forecast_remaining_today
    name: Remaining
    show:
  - entity: sensor.solcast_forecast_tomorrow
    name: Tomorrow
    color: grey
    show:
  - entity: sensor.solcast_api_last_polled
    name: Last update
    unit: ' min.'
    transform: return ((Date.now()) - (new Date(x).getTime())) / 60 / 60 / 24
    show:

I hope you find it useful :blush:

16 Likes

Anybody know the difference between the services update_forecast and update_actual_forecasts?
The first one didn’t update my rooftop sensors (4 in total) and the second did update everything but lead to 8 API calls instead of 4?

This is really good and useful staff - Many thanks!

Hi,

I am new in to HA, and have just imported the API from Solcast.

How do I get the display like you have in this image…?

Thanks

this looks realy nice :smiley:
Anyway i have a strange problem.
Maybe you can help out.
grafik
The NA Entities are avileable if I click on them.
Any ideas why its not displaying right?

It’s in the setup of the Energy Dashboard.

Settings / Dashboards / Energy

Then when you enter in details of your Solar PV array you can configure a solar forecast for it:

1 Like

I have a problem with the graphs from solcast. In Home assistant it does not show the same as in Solcast. Please see below pictures.

Some of you already mentioned some issues with timezones, but I have checked all kind of settings and can unfortunately still not match the predicted vs. realised graphs.

I did check the timezone in Home Assistant as well: Amsterdam. This matches with Solcast timezone.

Anyone knows the quickfix to this?

HomeAssistant