[SOLVED] After update Docker container configuration seems gone?

Hello together

I am a bit lost and need your help.

About me: I am a software developer myself and know containers, Docker etc. reasonably well. I’ve had Home-Assistant running as a Docker container for many years and it’s always worked well so far, though I’m still a beginner here. Something went wrong when trying to upgrade the container to the latest image, so the configuration is like gone.

The previous Home Assistant container was from January 2021, presumably image 968c2d417cad8b002a2b816a39b9ce1c977b61fd0b64236e108fc59daab05807 of which I couldn’t figure out which version it was. Anyway, I still found this image locally.

Today I had the idea to update the container to the newest image. This went wrong: Although the previous configuration is mounted as a volume, the Home Assistant instance behaves like a freshly updated one. I.e. I am guided through the onboarding for new instances, which also works. But of course I want to use the previous configuration and not rebuild everything.

I then tried to restore the data folder from a pre-update file system backup (using tar) and reuse the old image from January 2021 Surprisingly, a container from this old image also wants to reboot fresh and acts as if there is no configuration.

Does anyone have an idea what I could try or what could be the reason for this?

I am very thankful for all help

Many greetings
Thomas

acces rights to the shared mounted folder??

Thanks for the tip about the permissions.

That made me take a closer look at the mapping. And lo and behold: Unnoticed I had accidentally deleted a single character in the start script of the folder path on the host, which I didn’t notice.

After I corrected this, both the old image and the update to the new one worked immediately.

Conclusion: Home Assistant works absolutely reliable. Check paths carefully. My mistake!

Many thanks & best regards
Thomas

1 Like

Note: Since in the current image the integration RFXCOM RFXtrx does not seem to run at all, I am now back to the old container from the 2021.1.5 There everything works.

Why in the new version the module RFXCOM RFXtrx does not run anymore I have to have a look at it.