[SOLVED] Anyone got working GU10 RGB bulbs with no hub?

Hello folks

I bought 10 plugin uplighters that tag GU10 bulbs. Does anyone have GU10 colour bulbs working with HA without needing a hub ?

Please note (in case you might of recommended these):-

• Must be GU10.
  • The uplighters will not accommodate and adapter for another fitting type because the bulb will stick out at the top.
  • I do not want white - must be colour
  • Bulb must not need a hub, I have no LAN ports left and no power sockets to plug in a port hub either.
  • Do not want to spend like £20+ on one bulb ,
    Hue are ridiculously priced.

I have searched the forums and seen lots of good info about bulbs but not GU10 colour and hubless? Bulbs I have considered are:-

• LIFX - too costly , £25+
  • Mi-Home needs a hub so no good.
  • Yeelight - seem to be used quite a lot but I cannot find GU10 - do they even make them?
  • Muller Licht -Tint too costly import from Germany £30+
  • OSRAM ZigBee Smart+ - too expensive £20+
  • Do not want cloud TuYa or SmartHome app cloud based, because if the cloud server is down, or the company folds, then I cannot control the bulbs.
  • Hue - absolutely ridiculous price.

I do have a Z-wave controller that is working with my MQTT HVAC so maybe that controller can work Z-Wave GU10 bulbs? I don’t know?

I am in the UK - if that makes any difference?

Can anyone please help?

EDIT 1
Found this project that emulates the Mi-Light 2.4GHz WiFi Gateway and can use the cheap MiHome type GU10 RGB bulbs:

The great thing about this is you can control hundreds of independent bulbs rather than the 4 independent bulbs you can control with the Mi-Light 2.4ghz Gateway (you can only have 4 groups so 4 groups with one bulb in each).

So the costs for this project is around £17.35

and you can get the bulbs for £7.50 each

EDIT 2
Member h4nc on here makes the hub so I’ve PMd him to see if he can send one to the UK (if he is not in the UK?)

A good write up on the h4nc solution:
https://blog.christophermullins.com/2019/11/08/ready-made-milight-hub/

EDIT 3
Exchanged messages with h4nc…
I have been quoted 49 Euro (Wow!!) but advised the price may change (why didn’t I just get the best price I dont know?). I declined because:-

• The cost of the hardware used in his hub is about £9.
  • The cost of a case from electronics store here is £2 and the cut-outs for USB power can be done with a Dremel.
  • The firmware is free and can be flashed easily and only needs to be done once - it is not big deal.
  • Each OEM controller only costs £10.
  • Each OEM controller has 1 year warranty. His hubs have NO warranty (gosh!).
    He does not have a viable product model but wish him luck but. I will not be buying one because of the above points.
1 Like

Sent the bulbs back. Too much hassle. Will look for a cheaper and less hassle alternative. RF 433Mhz Wall mounted Light Switches and Power Socket Outlets look a good idea, so exploring these now. Many ways to control 433 on a Pi+HASS

I’m also searching for GU10 bulbs compatible with Home Assistant. I know this thread is old but did you ever find any?

Have a look at Athom preflashed with ESPHome or Tasmota, had lots working great for a while now

I have just bought some flashed with Tasmota, but don’t know how to set them up. I installed the Tasmota integration but it says it has errors and I’m curious what your setup is to support it.

I’m running HA on a Dell Wyze machine with a SONOFF adapter.

I bought the Esphome ones so not sure, sorry