[Solved] Can't enable Mobile App "disabled by Config Entry", Troubleshooting Advice doesn't help

Some Infos first: I have an Android Pixel Phone, the iPhone of another person just worked per default, and all entities can be accessed. Everything is up to date on phones as well as home-assistant.

Problem description:
The title says most of it: Automations that send notifications to my device work, but the device itself is shown as “The device is disabled by Config entry”, also making all its entities disabled in the same way. I cannot flip the switch to enable it in the device setting. The troubleshooting info from the following page didn’t help: Troubleshooting | Home Assistant Companion Docs - I tried it multiple times already. I also tried various variations of it. Such as giving the android app all the permissions before starting it the first time, etc.

I then found in some other post that checking .storage/core.config_entries might help. But the device entry was already as it is supposed to be, having "disabled_by": null, so I didn’t make any change there.

If I enable one of the sensors / entitites in the companion app, like “Next Alarm”, it will be first shown enabled for a few minutes/seconds. It even shows up when simultaneously checking the Mobile App device (but keeps saying that it is disabled). It gets disabled again when checking it a bit later. That’s extremely weird to me.

Any advice what to check next is appreciated. Is this a bug or a user problem? What’s the potential problem with the Android App vs. iPhone? Any logs I should check?

Much thanks in advance!

sounds like something got corrupted you cant even remove the config entry?

I could remove the config entry. I also solved it now. Upon the first reboot of home-assistant, apparently the phone device was still not removed entirely, but it showed some error about it. After that I could set up the app freshly. However, I can’t remember it was like this the first time I tried to savely remove it.

So my advise for anyone reading this with the same problem: Check again if there is anything left in devices about your phone, and if yes remove/delete it and restart home-assistant again.

I am also unsure about one part which is also not mentioned in the Troubleshooting guide but was written somewhere else: Do I actually have to enable location sharing and everything? It seems to be needed or otherwise the whole device doesn’t work. Is that the case? Then the guide needs an update.

no location tracking is not needed for the app to work unless you need things like Internal URL then yes the app needs location access. The steps you are following are complete.

1 Like