SOLVED - Can't get my Wyze cams to stream in HA

After some replies and me trying to look with fresh eyes to compare their example code and my code, i found out i 1) made a typo using “rstp” instead of “rtsp”, and saw my latest fresh install had a wrong path to ffmpeg …

I have HA (latest 0.95.4) running on an Rpi3 (with a july 2019 Raspbian). I have 4 Wyze cams with RTSP firmware. I can see the video of the cams in the Wyze app as well as in VLC (so i would also say it’s not some option in my router blocking streams). But whatever i do, i can’t get an image in HA. Amongst things i have tried:

1. in configuration.yaml
  2. in ui-lovelace.yaml
    • tried camera_image: card type
    • tried picture-entity card type
    • tried ‘custom:camera-card’ card type

I have been searching for a long time, tried many things, went through many reboots of the pi and the cams … still no joy.

1 Like

I haven’t tried to get a stream in a card, so I can’t help you there, but have you considered fhe motioneye add-on? I prefer it to cards. Maybe you will, too.

Thank you for the reply. Yes, i am considering MotionEye and similar solutions, but that would put extra strain on my Rpi3; as some seem to be able to get cam streams to work in HA ‘natively’, i’m still hoping my ‘problem’ is solvable.

Btw: i’m on the ‘manual install HA’ (and everything else), so not on the add-on/‘app-store’-version of HA.

This is what I use:

- platform: ffmpeg
      name: Fish
      input: -rtsp_transport udp -i rtsp://secretuser:[email protected]/live

They randomly quit working, but if you go into the Wyze app and regenerate the url they’ll start back up again.

Thank you. Tried udp instead of tcp, but no joy in my setting/config/setup.

Do I need to have the ffmpeg: component for this to work?

I know this post is bit older, but I have 4 Wyzecam need to put them in to the Lovelace, ffmpeg is working for me but only for the first camera and I don’t know how to add 4 different cameras together with Config

include a camera.yaml and inside just do

name: Drive Way Camera
  input: -rtsp_transport tcp -i rtsp://12345:[email protected]/live
  extra_arguments: '-vf "scale=384:216"'

name: Other Camera
  input: -rtsp_transport tcp -i rtsp://12345:[email protected]/live

etc…

1 Like

putting them into a camera.yaml did not work for me. I’m still new to hassio i will figure this later. but putting the code in the configurator is a success. all my 4 WYZE cameras are working. Awesome! couldn’t tell you how happy I am on this Christmas day.

camera:
  - platform: ring
    name: Kitchen
    input: -rtsp_transport tcp -i rtsp://Wyze123:[email protected]/live

name: Hall Way 

name: TV Room 

name: Living Pan 
    input: -rtsp_transport tcp -i rtsp://WyzePan123:[email protected]/live

3 Likes

cool yeah that works too, glad you got it working. Aa lot of us with large configuration.yaml files end up ‘splitting’ the config… you can search that or do it how you have it is okay as well.

but basically its inside of configuration.yaml you can do:

camera: !include camera.yaml

then inside camera.yaml you can put the code you are using for the cameras. but without the

camera: 

part.

2 Likes

Now that you’ve had it running a few weeks, what are your takes on it? Planning to setup the same way but am seeing some people report performance issues with WYZE running RTSP firmware.

works perfect no issue.

camera.yaml is working and less codes in conf.yaml now.

1 Like

Hello, I’ve fallen into the Wyze camera hole and I can’t get up.

I have:

1. installed the camera using the Wyze app. I can see the camera image/video.

2. flashed rtsp onto the camera (instructions are here)

3. edited the configuration.yaml file:

camera: !include camera.yaml
  1. created the camera.yaml file:
    name: TV Room 
    input: -rtsp_transport tcp -i rtsp://username:[email protected]/live
  1. I have rebooted.

I am using the Raspberry PI version of HA.

I see this on my Home Assistant -> overview:

This is my first install, my first device … what am I doing wrong?

1 Like

Code seems o.k./like what i have. You’re sure about the IP address? In your actual config you do have the actual username and password? Can you access the cam via VLC using the string in camera.yaml (rtsp://userid:[email protected]/live)?

here is how i have my wyze cam

name: Front Door
  input: rtsp://uname:[email protected]/live
1 Like

@raoul.teeuwen, @unraidghost - thanks for the quick help!

I changed my stream to what @unraidghost listed (took out all the extra stuff), AND it turns out that the username is case-sensitive. Apparently when I was typing it in, the system automatically made the first letter a capital letter.

Works now!

Whew. Now on to add more functionality to this system. Thanks, all!

1 Like

can you help me in wyze camera up in home assisstant . if you can step by step how you did it, thanks for all the help you are going to provide

1 Like

Did you try and do what @bmillios did in his Dec 20th post? Please specify the exact steps you took, just like @bmillios did.

If you did the exact steps, check the follow up posts with hints about what he should check and share your results.