[solved] "device not connected to local push notifications"

OK. Within a second of re-starting the companion app, I have a log that is 621 lines long.
Any hints on what to search for please?

most likely there would be a traceback around the websocket connection

so in a text search what shall I look for? Noting found for “websocket”, or “web” or “socket”.
Could just post the whole thing here, but I’m not sure if there is security sensitive stuff there…

URL and location data is what you want to mask. You dont see any traceback errors at all?

did the app create the persistent notification indicating the server connected?

No, no persistent notification saying that it is connected to the server, but it has never done that before and it is connected to the server as I can do everything I want to through the app.

thats not the same connection as whats used to get notifications, the notification indicates the websocket connection is live. Viewing your dashboard uses different communication method. At this point we need to see the logs

Well I do have a persistent notification there in the companion app. It’s a QR code from the whatsapp integration. That’s another story, but I have the same persistent notification on my desktop UI.

Forum won’t let me post 600 lines of code. I’ll try doing it in two posts

those are not the same notifications, this one is app controlled and only shows up when the connection was established and active

use a site like pastebin to keep it cleaner and easier

teh websocket connection is not valid in this log, what settigns do you have for this feature? is it set to always or something else?

You’ll have to help me with that please. Is websocket the same as persisten connection? How do I change the settings for it?

yes sorry the persistent connection is what I am referring to

Never
“Notifications will be delivered by Google”

and you installed via the google play store? can you please log out of the app and log back in to see if that corrects your issue.?

yes, and yes I have tried logging in and out several times (I needed to do that to get the start up logs)

what device is this? and are you using the actual service call from the device and not notify.notify ?

Companion app is installed Samsung android version 16.
I am using notify.notify in the automation to send the message. This has worked perfectly before with same model phone and same android version. I broke my phone and replaced it with identical. That’s when the notifications stopped coming

you most likely have a different device having this issue, please use the device provided service call…notify.notify reaches out to all device. The logs from your device show it is connected to firebase so it will work

notify.notify is not recommended to use

Be aware that you might want to change the actual service to whatever service you are actually using since notify.notify is shorthand for the first notify service the system can find and might therefore not be working as intended.

https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/notify/

Thank you, but I’m not sure I get that. “Notify” does indeed appear in the Integrations List referred to in the page that you posted the link to, hence, notify.notify I guess. If I want to send a message through Signal or Telegram, then I could do that (I’m using Wahatsapp now, since my notifications stopped working), but I want to send a message from my HA server to my companion app that will display a notification on my phone.

use the service call provided by the device notify.mobile_app_<device_name>

1 Like