[SOLVED] Garage sensor status not updating

Hi All - a big hello from Australia, hope you’re all well.

Posting this here as I’m not sure if this is a HA issue or an Integration issue.

I recently purchased an Orion Grid Connect Smart Garage Door Controller with Sensor which was a steal at $30 on sale.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/orion-grid-connect-smart-garage-door-controller-with-sensor_p0261686

It has its own App from the company but is just a rebranded Tuya device. This makes it appealing to me.

I recently stopped flashing my Tuya devices with ESP or Tasmota in favour of stock FW end the Local Tuya HACS Integration.

Installation was simple and was able to add it to HA.

My problem is that the Open Close (On/Off) status doesn’t always update in HA. It works fine if you control the device from HA or the Tuya App.

Try and close the garage with the normal remote though or manually on the door - Tuya App will register the change in status but HA won’t.

I’m guessing the Tuya App Polls the status regularly or has a push feature.

The only way I can get HA to register the new status is to click it a few times till it finally syncs properly.

I was wondering if I could set HA to constantly poll the sensor - say every 10 seconds - to keep the status live but not sure how (or even if) I could /should do that.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

hey champ,

can you tell me how you added this to HA? i can only access it via the Tuya app, as it doesnt show up as a device on HA for me to integrate it.

Thanks in advance.

Sure thing. Despite the issue which is the subject of my post - which I haven’t resolved yet - it works great if you only use HA to open and close the door. We have just put the IR remotes in the drawer and just use the app on our phones.

Steps are:

• Install HACS
  • Install an integration called “Tuya Local” - don’t be confused with one called “Local Tuya”
  • Add the device to Tuya App - don’t use Grid Connect App
  • Get the Device ID and local keys of each device from the Tuya IoT platform
  • Configure Integration to add device - adding the details in the previous step plus the IP of the device
  • Configure Firewall to stop devices accessing internet (optional)
  • Add switch to Lovelace (with funky garage logo)
  • Done.

Generally I followed this guide which goes into the above steps in more detail (especially the getting deviceID and keys part) but the platform has changed a little since the video was made which makes a few steps he does a little hard to follow as you have to find where the new options are - but keep going, they are there - the menu headings have just changed.

Once you have finished, there you go, managing device from HA without Tuya, Grid Connect App or the cloud.

Note - an official Tuya Integration is under active development in advanced Beta at the moment. This will likely include (touted to begin Beta in September) an offline control option. This will make using this HACS integration redundant in favour of the official integration soon. Once that happens and offline is available in the official integration, Ill migrate my stuff over and drop use of this HACS integration.

Good Luck.

Solved this issue by finding a similar post. Posted my resolution there:

Hi
Do you have your TuyaLocal yaml for this.
I seem to be struggeling to get this working properly.
Paul