[SOLVED] HA and Openmediavault

Hello,
I’m trying to install HA on my NAS with Openmediavault (Debian 12).
Folowing Linux - Home Assistant, I choose the docker solution so I’ve installed all packages and run

docker run --restart unless-stopped -d --name homeassistant -v /home/homeassistant:/config --device=/dev/ttyUSB0 -e TZ=Europe/Italy --network=host -v /run/dbus:/run/dbus:ro --privileged ghcr.io/home-assistant/home-assistant:stable

The problem is there is no “Add-ons” button.
I’ve enabled “Advanced mode” in my profile.
Any idea?

Add-ons are only supported in Supervised and HAOS installation methods. Not docker.

1 Like

Hello,

Add-on store is available only running HAOS, you will have to run other docker container on the same network to mimic the same condition.
Example you want to run an mqtt broker, you have to spin up another docker container running mosquitto.

If you run OMV I would suggest to run the compose add on for OMV and run portainer to gain easy access to dockers.
With compose plugin you will have the possibility to run docker compose and via a yaml configuration you can spin up multiple docker within the same network without dealing with network and vlan in docker that might confuse you.

Here a tutorial to do so:https://www.wundertech.net/how-to-install-docker-on-openmediavault/

Google it and there are in Italian as well! I see you are in Italy :grinning:

Hope it is clear enough and it helps.

1 Like

Docker is installed, there is no problem with docker.
I’ve another HA installation with add-ons on another debian.
Running docker ps I see

CONTAINER ID   IMAGE                                                      COMMAND               CREATED          STATUS                    PORTS
1c6f2c76da9f   ghcr.io/home-assistant/amd64-hassio-multicast:2024.03.0    "/init"               23 minutes ago   Up 13 minutes
1b1709bb27ed   ghcr.io/home-assistant/amd64-hassio-observer:2023.06.0     "/usr/bin/observer"   23 minutes ago   Up 13 minutes             0.0.0.0:4357->80/tcp, :::4357->80/
b2a49dd7e68e   ghcr.io/home-assistant/amd64-hassio-audio:2023.12.0        "/init"               23 minutes ago   Up 13 minutes
383c67c40238   ghcr.io/home-assistant/amd64-hassio-dns:2024.04.0          "/init"               23 minutes ago   Up 13 minutes
4292bebb1efe   ghcr.io/home-assistant/amd64-hassio-cli:2024.05.0          "/init"               23 minutes ago   Up 13 minutes
43dcd636a3d2   homeassistant/amd64-addon-configurator:5.8.0               "/init"               3 days ago       Up 13 minutes (healthy)
c21726fd12ad   homeassistant/amd64-addon-ssh:9.14.0                       "/init"               3 days ago       Up 12 minutes
765b2e70a9d4   ghcr.io/home-assistant/amd64-hassio-supervisor:latest      "/init"               5 weeks ago      Up 12 minutes
e0141909d20a   ghcr.io/home-assistant/qemux86-64-homeassistant:2024.6.4   "/init"               5 weeks ago      Up 20 minutes

I cannot replicate this configuration on my new server.

That is the Supervised installation. That’s not what you installed on your NAS.

This may be helpful How to install HASS on OpenMediaVault on a Virtual Machine? - Installation - Home Assistant Community (home-assistant.io)

Hi,
Agree with @mterry63 the image shows supervised installation.

Following a tutorial, I’ve installed OMV KVM plugin (openmediavault-kvm 7.0.14).
Now I’m running a VM with haos_ova-12.4.qcow2 but 8123 is not open.
Using console I can do some command.

# uname -a
Linux homeassistant 6.6.33-haos #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Tue Jun 18 
13:51:59 UTC 2024 ×86_64 HAOS

# netstat -ant
Active Internet connections (servers and established)
Proto Recu-Q Send-Q Local Address	Foreign Address	State
tcp				 0			0		0.0.0.0:5355	0.0.0.0:*				LISTEN
tcp				 0			0		0.0.0.0:111 	0.0.0.0:*				LISTEN
tcp				 0			0		:::5355		  	0.0.0.0:*				LISTEN
tcp				 0			0		:::111			0.0.0.0:*				LISTEN

There is some stuff to do after boot?

Hello,

if I understood what you did I believe you VM is missing a network bridge…
See network section in this post:https://community.home-assistant.io/t/install-home-assistant-os-with-kvm-on-ubuntu-headless-cli-only/254941

Once you create the bridge just rebuild netstat and you should be able to get connected to HA.

I’ve followed this mini how-to and I’ve create a network bridge to eno1.

Hi,

If you click on what the video is calling link from OMV KVM dashboard, what do you get?
You should get Hass OS screen with ip, is this the case?

you mean console?

Yes do you get an HassOs console?

yes but net-tools are not installed
no arp, no ifconfig, no apt…

Sorry, I don’t understand:

You installed OMV KVM.
Now you can run VMs.
Then you downloaded the qocw2.xz file from the homeassistant website
Then you put the uncompressed file in a share of your OMV that is mounted to KVM as well.
Setup a virtual machine with the following setup:

Then you start the VM and the Console
When you open the link after a while you should get:

Browsing the ip:8123 you would see the welcome page setting up your HA instance.

I have done it, and it is running fine.

yes, yes, yes

As OS I selected Debian 12 with 2 CPU and 2 GiB ram
Into console I see

"Waiting for the Home Assistant CLI to be ready...
[WARN] Home Assistant CLI not starting! Jump into emergency console...
#

looking messages on console, I’ve rebooted and

[FAILED] Failed to start Network Manager Wait Online.
See 'systemctl status NetworkManager-wait-online service' for details.

systemctl status NetworkManager-wait-online service output is

I’ve found the problem.
The DHCPd was not properly configured.
Now

Tnx a lot!!

I am also trying to setup HA on my OMV system.

Unfortunately I get this message when I start my HA VM:

Unable to - poweronunsupported configuration: CPU mode 'host-passthrough' for x86_64 qemu domain on x86_64 host is not supported by hypervisor

OMV\Exception: Unable to - poweronunsupported configuration: CPU mode 'host-passthrough' for x86_64 qemu domain on x86_64 host is not supported by hypervisor in /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/kvm.inc:2264
Stack trace:
#0 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceKvm->doCommand(Array, Array)
#1 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
#2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('doCommand', Array, Array)
#3 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(537): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('Kvm', 'doCommand', Array, Array, 1)
#4 {main}

This is my first attempt at using a VM and I do not know what to do next.

So I have made a little progress.

This link https://forum.openmediavault.org/index.php?thread/44290-re-creating-vm-s/ suggests to change the cpu mode to this:

<cpu mode='custom' match='exact' check='none'>
    <model fallback='allow'>EPYC-Rome</model>

Now I get a new error, and it looks like tomorrow I will be looking into the network settings!

Unable to - poweronRequested operation is not valid: network 'default' is not active

OMV\Exception: Unable to - poweronRequested operation is not valid: network 'default' is not active in /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/kvm.inc:2264
Stack trace:
#0 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceKvm->doCommand(Array, Array)
#1 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
#2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('doCommand', Array, Array)
#3 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(537): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('Kvm', 'doCommand', Array, Array, 1)
#4 {main}