[SOLVED] HA and Openmediavault

yes, yes, yes

As OS I selected Debian 12 with 2 CPU and 2 GiB ram
Into console I see

"Waiting for the Home Assistant CLI to be ready...
[WARN] Home Assistant CLI not starting! Jump into emergency console...
#

looking messages on console, I’ve rebooted and

[FAILED] Failed to start Network Manager Wait Online.
See 'systemctl status NetworkManager-wait-online service' for details.

systemctl status NetworkManager-wait-online service output is

I’ve found the problem.
The DHCPd was not properly configured.
Now

Tnx a lot!!

I am also trying to setup HA on my OMV system.

Unfortunately I get this message when I start my HA VM:

Unable to - poweronunsupported configuration: CPU mode 'host-passthrough' for x86_64 qemu domain on x86_64 host is not supported by hypervisor

OMV\Exception: Unable to - poweronunsupported configuration: CPU mode 'host-passthrough' for x86_64 qemu domain on x86_64 host is not supported by hypervisor in /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/kvm.inc:2264
Stack trace:
#0 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceKvm->doCommand(Array, Array)
#1 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
#2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('doCommand', Array, Array)
#3 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(537): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('Kvm', 'doCommand', Array, Array, 1)
#4 {main}

This is my first attempt at using a VM and I do not know what to do next.

So I have made a little progress.

This link https://forum.openmediavault.org/index.php?thread/44290-re-creating-vm-s/ suggests to change the cpu mode to this:

<cpu mode='custom' match='exact' check='none'>
    <model fallback='allow'>EPYC-Rome</model>

Now I get a new error, and it looks like tomorrow I will be looking into the network settings!

Unable to - poweronRequested operation is not valid: network 'default' is not active

OMV\Exception: Unable to - poweronRequested operation is not valid: network 'default' is not active in /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/kvm.inc:2264
Stack trace:
#0 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceKvm->doCommand(Array, Array)
#1 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
#2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('doCommand', Array, Array)
#3 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(537): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('Kvm', 'doCommand', Array, Array, 1)
#4 {main}

Your network bridge is active?

I have used the KVM gui in Openmediavault to set up a bridge network. (There are 2 available as I am connected using wifi)

The VM now starts but the info tab on the KVM gui does not seem to include network information.

I do not know how to find out if the VM has set itself up. I also do not understand how to use the consol feature on the KVM gui. I have never used spice before…

So, it looks like it is working but I cannot use it! Grrr!

I just found this link: https://community.home-assistant.io/t/home-assistant-virtual-machine-cannot-access-open-media-vault-5-server/337162

Apparently I cannot add a network from KVM gui, I need to build a new one in OMV …

It is too late here now, but I found this link: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/75532207/kvm-default-network-gives-same-ip-to-different-machines

It looks like I do not have any network working at the moment.

It looks like it is tricky to get KVM working on an interface configured with DHCP. I did read somewhere that OMV “should not” be run over a wi-fi link - which I am using - so I cannot really follow the OMV instructions for setting up KVM because I hope to continue using the wi-fi.

Maybe tomorrow…

You also need to activate the network interface.
Follow the link I’ve posted some time ago → https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xkc6W0T7Sak

Thanks for your help. The link is very informative.

I have setup and activated the network and started the VM. I have opened my first spice screen and can see that something is definitely happening - but unfortunately the HA CLI does not seem to start (but I do get invited to start the emergency console)

So thanks, I am one step closer…

How did you fix your DHCPd?

So I have not made any progress setting up Home Assistant. I have setup and activated a macvtap bridge but when I start the VM the spice screen still stops with a message that the HA CLI is not starting, then I get the emergency console.

I do not really know how to use this console, but the command ip a does show that some network stuff has been set up.

I would really appreciate some help here. I have been running Home Assistant for a few years now on a rpi and recently had a serious sd card error. I would really like to run HA on my server as a VM as it may be more reliable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Hello,
can you share the screen where you are blocked?
If the emergency console is suggested something goes wrong and usually is network related.

Hi,
I do see a lot of info scrolling on the spice console as the vm boots up but do not know how to save it.

The screen clears just before the “waiting for home assistant cle…” message.

Then there is a very long wait before I am informed that we are in emergency mode.

I assume the bootup messages contain the info about what is going wrong with the network.

Thanks for your help. How can I get you the info you have asked for?

Try

journalctl -xb

Thanks, but this command only displays line 1-36. I do not know how to copy the whole list of boot-up messages to a file so I can look at them.

I have no experience working with VMs. If I pipe the listing to a file how can I send the file from the VM to my “real” environment?

I have had more experience using dockers on OMV. I found this link https://community.home-assistant.io/t/home-assistant-and-esphome-in-docker/450525/26 and had home assistant working without a problem.

I feel like I need to add this comment because the new install has not been trouble free.

The sonos devices appear like normal on the HA gui on the docker, but you cannot send them media to play. Some devices report time-out errors on port 1400 and sometimes report failure to register. I am currently trying to work this out, and wonder if others have had this happen?

Some of the IKEA remotes do not behave the same, particularly the E2123 as it has lost its events. There is no longer a zha_event that corresponds to the option that is offered in the automation building gui. This means that the automations no longer work. I though that maybe a blueprint for this device will replace this missing “internal translation” but the problem disappeared (for the moment) when I manually updated from 2024.9.1 to 2024.9.2.

I am also having some issues with esphome but do not know if it is related to the move to HA in a docker. I had been planning to setup some esphome devices that have been off-line and powered down for a while. I am currently quite surprised that they are not visible again in HA when I power them up again.

Hello,

Just search in community but the sonos error seems to be related either to ip of the device or dockers are not running on same netowrk.

Just start the docker setting network_mode: host, in other word the ip of the hosting pc that should be able to communicate to the network where sonos are.

Esp-home will be another docker in the same network of HA docker in this kind of installation, again host network.

Ikea not sure I have no experience.