[SOLVED] Questions about flashing Tasmota

Hello,

I am a new user of HA (well I tried to use it in the past but never allocated enough time, but now I really want to start automating things in my house) and would need some advice about Tasmota flashing.

A while back, I bought a BlitzWolf BW-SHP2 that I successfully flashed with ESPEasy (or ESPHome, I don’t remember) through TuyaConvert. Then I decided to switch to Tasmota and while trying to flash the device through the WebUI, I managed to brick it (I don’t really know why it bricked but it wasn’t responding anymore ; I tried to reset it so that it would give the default AP but without success). I tried to flash it over serial (I had never used a soldering station before) but I didn’t manage to make it work.

After some searching I found that the Delock 11826 comes with Tasmota pre-flashed (which is great… if you know other devices with Tasmota pre-flashed please let me know). The problem is that it is in German and I don’t know any German, so I would like to flash it with a generic version of Tasmota. I wouldn’t want to do the same mistake as with the BlitzWolf BW-SHP2 so I have a few question about the flashing process.

The information about the device is :

• Tasmota Version 6.4.1(classic)
  • flash size : 1024kB
  • used flash size : 483kB
  • free flash size : 520kB
  • free ram size : 16kB
  1. Based on the information on this page I should upgrade first to 7.2.0, then to 8.1.0 and finally to 9.1.0 (released 8 hours ago). For each version, I should first upgrade to the minimal version then full version so : 7.2.0-minimal, then 7.2.0, then 8.1.0-minimal, then 8.1.0, afterwards 9.1.0-minimal and finally 9.1.0.
    Is my understanding correct?

2. If my understanding from the previous question is correct, why is it necessary to flash some intermediate versions before the current one? In other words why is it not advised for me to go from 6.4.1 directly to 9.1.0-minimal and then 9.1.0?

3. Does Tasmota have any “protection” against noobs trying to flash the wrong version, or uploading a version that is bigger than the available flash memory? I mean, if by accident I upload the current full version that has 601k and my free flash is only 520k will Tasmota complain or just try to flash and brick the device?

4. I have seen that an OTA-URL can be configured in Tasmota to get the latest version and flash it. What would happen if I just used the official Tasmota URL with my 6.4.1 version? Would it detect that it has to go through intermediate versions or just try and flash the latest release? Should I avoid flashing with the OTA-URL?

Just trying not to repeat the experience I had with flashing the BlitzWolf BW-SHP2 as my soldering and serial flashing skills are nearly non existent and I wouldn’t want to brick the Delock 11826 too.
Any advise is more than welcome.

Yes, that is the order

Because the layout of the flash memory changed in between

You can’t. If you don’t have enough available memory, the flash will fail. However, if the minimal version and the normal version are in the same (http) place, Tasmota will automatic flash the minimal version in between.

1 Like

Thank you for your response.

The flash will fail as in bricking the device or as in the device will still be functional with the version it had on it before? I suppose the second one, but just to be sure.

The flash will fail as in ‘you get an error message’

1 Like

Hi @francisp

I have the same delock, and I’m planning to upgrade it as well. Were you able to upgrade the firmware to the new Tasmota using the procedure you mentioned ?

Thanks in advanced.