Solved - Turning on a switch for a water pump

Hi everyone. I need some assistance. Hurricane Ida is blowing through my area. I am getting some water into my basement and the float switch for my water pump broke. What is the best way to have a smart switch turn on for 30 seconds every 15 minutes through Node-Red in HA? Any assistance is appreciated.

[{"id":"e2bd2ca9bbbcc9ec","type":"inject","z":"ffbd7f06.4a014","name":"","props":[{"p":"payload"},{"p":"topic","vt":"str"}],"repeat":"900","crontab":"","once":false,"onceDelay":0.1,"topic":"","payloadType":"date","x":276,"y":1104,"wires":[["b69dbd2b33f5c61a"]]},{"id":"b69dbd2b33f5c61a","type":"api-call-service","z":"ffbd7f06.4a014","name":"","server":"","version":3,"debugenabled":false,"service_domain":"switch","service":"turn_on","entityId":"switch.pump","data":"","dataType":"jsonata","mergecontext":"","mustacheAltTags":false,"outputProperties":[],"queue":"none","x":458,"y":1104,"wires":[["e2b805f8b5b73358"]]},{"id":"e2b805f8b5b73358","type":"delay","z":"ffbd7f06.4a014","name":"","pauseType":"delay","timeout":"30","timeoutUnits":"seconds","rate":"1","nbRateUnits":"1","rateUnits":"second","randomFirst":"1","randomLast":"5","randomUnits":"seconds","drop":false,"allowrate":false,"x":636,"y":1104,"wires":[["d1b5ea1ee54298bf"]]},{"id":"d1b5ea1ee54298bf","type":"api-call-service","z":"ffbd7f06.4a014","name":"","server":"","version":3,"debugenabled":false,"service_domain":"switch","service":"turn_off","entityId":"switch.pump","data":"","dataType":"jsonata","mergecontext":"","mustacheAltTags":false,"outputProperties":[],"queue":"none","x":810,"y":1104,"wires":[[]]}]
1 Like

Thanks Kermit. Trying this now. I appreciate the help!

This worked perfectly. Thanks again. I owe you one!

Glad this got you through the storm!

For future reference, I’m wondering if there’s a better way than a timed cycle. What if you had a smart plug with current monitoring? They sell bilge pumps for boats which use this method; come on every so often and stay on if, and for as long as, the current draw of the motor is above some threshold. It’s not a great solution for boats where battery drain is an issue, but for a mains-powered home pump, it might be ideal.

I’ve had float switches fail too, and it would be great to have this in place as a backup.

1 Like

There are wireless leak/flood detectors. You could use that to trigger the pump. There are also powered shut off valves that can be connected to them, for when the water source is a broken pipe in the house.

2 Likes