SOLVED Tuya: Can't Link Devices By App Account: Data Center Error

Thanks a lot! That did the trick! Netherlands = Central Europe… :wink:

I had to switch from Easter US to the Western US Datacenter, even though I live in Atlanta, GA. Weird, but working now.

I guys the Tuya people are not that strong at Geography :wink:

This really helped me and I wanted to add another hint in case others are struggling. My first tuya device is the FSTWIFITU fused spur switch.
First issue was resolved from the hint from cannockwolf to add the user account. The next is that the email address for the account is case sensitive.

SOLVED: Ok, so using this comment from cannockwolf I got it solved. Here’s how.
0) Follow setup on the homeassistant website for creating a project. Stop at the point where it tells you to scan a QR code.

1. I’m on the eastern seaboard but selected the western database. No clue why that worked but hey.
  2. Go to the Tuya IoT Platform site and click on Cloud (left sidebar) → Users (Top bar menu) → Add User (popup) → Email (Popup top menu).
  3. Enter the email and password you used for your TUYA or SMART LIFE APP (The one on your phone). The password requirements are different for the phone and this box. So just put a password that works on this web form then change the password on your phone app to match.
  4. Submit//accept and you should see the user appear in system.
  5. NOW you go to Devices (top bar menu) on the Tuya IoT webpage → Link Tuya App Account (top-submenu) “Add app account”. It will pop up a QR code.
  6. Go to the Tuya//smart life app on your PHONE and click the bottom left “Me” icon.
  7. Once in the account page, click icon that looks like four corners of a box with a horizontal line through it. It is in the top right of the screen next to the hexagon on the top right of my screen.
  8. This should open your camera and start scanning.
  9. Scan the QR code
  10. Accept the popup even if the user is a string of characters
  11. This should trigger the screen on your computer (Tuya IoT Platform) to prompt for “autodiscovery” and access type.
  12. Choose autodiscovery and read//write//manage.
  13. It should find your devices. You can just close out of the sidebar menu that pops up. “X” on the top right in the Tuya IoT Platform page.
  14. Continue with the setup in either LocalTuya or the Tuya official app (I haven’t gotten this far, but I can see my devices and account now in the IoT Platform page.

ORIGINAL POST: This is so frustrating. I have tried linking both the Tuya Smart app and the Smart Life app and gotten nothing on their site.

After I scan the QR code I get a verification request on the phone for some random chinese name. I hit “allow” then if fails to find devices, but also WILL NOT show me the linked account. I now cannot unlink the account, cannot see the account as linked in the IoT portal to manage settings, and cannot try re-linking the account because I now get an “account already bound” error. It doesn’t seem to matter what data center I use (eastern or western US), but lets me link the account regardless.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3 Likes

Maybe a small edit to this. In case youausing a dark reader addon, disable it. After doing so i could scan with above steps taken.

2 Likes

Issue solved for me as well.
WHAT DID NOT WORK:

• I used the Eastern American data center
  • I scanned using Smart Life => it detected 0 devices
  • And then I could not scan again as I got errors already linked, even though I could not see this linked account anywhere.
  • I added other datacenters in the home of finding devices, switch to each of them hoping I could find devices or the infamous “linked account”. I could not find any. I did not try scanning again though.
  • I scanned using Tuya App => same effect

WHAT DID WORK:

• I removed all data centers and added only Western America
  • I scanned using Smart Life => this time I did not get the error already linked and the devices were found!
2 Likes

Small addition. Beside the clear instructions of Lostferret, I failed to connect the Nedis Smartlife app to the Tuya platform. Switching over to the Tuya Smart app did the trick for me.

This was my issue, Netherlands is not listed as Western Europe but as Central Europe - very strange to say the least.

If you are in NL, select Central Europe and it will work.

Thank you!

Tried to do the pairing with the ELESION Pearl app, but did not work. However, with the Tuya app it did work.

1 Like