[SOLVED - USER ERROR] Returning to HA, but having install problems

Hi all,

I wonder if you can give me a little guidance.

I used HA around a year ago and thought I would try it again.

Thing is, I’ve used 3 different MicroSD cards and 2 different MicroUSB adaptors and it doesn’t seem to pre-install successfully. The green light doesn’t illuminate at all on power up.

I tried both the imager and balenaEtcher with no success, that latter showed a list of errors.

I tried installing the standard Raspberry Pi OS and it was completely successful and without issue.

The only variable that comes to mind is that I’m now using Windows 11.

I very much welcome any comments or thoughts.

Best wishes,

Chris

What guide are you following?

It should be this one. Anything else is likely to be out of date.

Thank you - yes that guide is what I’m following.

Just an addition. I tried approximately 8 times to write the image using the different MicroSD’s and MicroSD readers. After this I tried once to install the standard Raspberry Pi image and it was successful first time.

Make sure you use the correct image. There are separate images for pi 5, pi 4, pi 3 and pi 2.

I am indeed, I have a Pi 4 B, so I’m selecting the the correct one.

Screenshot 2024-03-12 165802

Maybe download the image first

https://github.com/home-assistant/operating-system/releases/download/12.0/haos_rpi4-64-12.0.img.xz .

1 Like

Thank you, I’ll give it a go. Here’s a view of the MicroSD card’s file directory, after using the imager:

I’ve just tried this, sadly this doesn’t work either - i.e. the green light isn’t blinking. It’s all a bit confusing.

Use rufus and format the sd cards clean. Try from another device as well. It could be an SD card issue, if these cards are from the same pack/brand, attempt with another if possible. Ive flashed a 100 of them with windows 10 and no issues. If its happening across sd readers and cards, make sure all software is correct. Im not a 100 percent sure but in your image you have raspi os for the 4/400 model. I think thats the all in one keyboard model? Is that what your using? Attempt with headless and light versions as well

Thank you Keelan, I did use rufus for the last image install to the sd card, and used diskpart to clean the drive.

I’m looking for a 3rd card reader in case I have one.

I’m trying to use the imager using my older windows 10 machine.

The SD cards I’m using are barely used, here they are - I’m also using a 128GB version of the samsung disk.

I’ve plugged the card reader directly into a rear USB port, in case that was the issue.

Yes I have a Pi 4 B, did it have an all in one keyboard then? I’m not using that, in fact at times I didn’t even plug a keyboard in using the USB ports of the Pi.

Very much appreciate your help :+1:

I’ve now tried creating the bootable MicroSD using a Windows 10 machine and the green light still doesn’t flashed. I did check the network in case the green light is faulty and it’s no where to be seen.

I tried to install straight forward Raspberry Pi and it installed first time with no issue.

It seems there’s no manual way to install HA on a Raspberry Pi, other than a version of the HA website, Chinese addition.

My genuine and sincere apologies to @Keelan_Dill , @francisp and @Arh .

I am deeply sorry for wasting your time, I thought I had 2 x Raspberry Pi 4 B’s, but it appears the one I was trying to install on was a 3 B.

The install is now going as well as expected now, I promise not to make the same mistake twice and write on each Pi what model it is.

1 Like

Oh dear, good to know you got there in the end.

1 Like

No worries. Everyones been there. Waiting on my weekly occurrence for myself.

1 Like

Thank you, it was certainly your and Keelan’s contributions that made me finally think, something is afoot!

What threw me was that the normal Raspberry Pi OS installed, pity it didn’t refuse like HA OS did, then I’d have figured it out sooner (hopefully).

I have a feeling you won’t suffer like me with your patience and competence!

Incidentally, very pleased that I’ve added a few WOL’s, Energy monitors and made some Gosund plugs work through HA, via Tuya.

I hope to eventually VLAN things, I am wondering how the Pi will work in that situation, I suppose I’ll have a IoT VLAN and the Pi will be on that. But I do wonder how I would be able to connect to it - but that’s for another day!

Thank you again peoples :clap:

Never looked at it really as I just use the home-assistant supervised install script which leaves you with raspios still mainly in order. Kinda of a pain to update but offers the most flexibility and you dont need to mess with flashing an sd card with anything but raspios.

Thank you for that, I’ll certainly bear that in mind if I have any issues with the method I used. :+1: