[SOLVED] Zigbee network suddenly stopped working

Hello everyone,

since wednesday this week I had the problem that my Zigbee network is not responding to any command anymore. All lights and plugs are not working since then, but I’m still able to see the status of them when I turn them manually on or off.

I’m using a on my Synology a Conbee II stick with Zigbee2MQTT in a Docker container.

Zigbee2Mqtt gives me this error when trying to send a command:

2022-04-02 05:58:17	stdout	e[31mZigbee2MQTT:errore[39m 2022-04-02 05:58:17: Publish 'set' 'state' to 'Steckdose_HWR' failed: 'Error: Command 0x842e14fffe15e5bd/1 genOnOff.off({}, {"timeout":10000,"disableResponse":false,"disableRecovery":false,"disableDefaultResponse":false,"direction":0,"srcEndpoint":null,"reservedBits":0,"manufacturerCode":null,"transactionSequenceNumber":null,"writeUndiv":false}) failed (no response received)'

I even tried my old Deconz setup and this also is not responding and gives this error

deconz 0x00178801084AAF68 error APSDE-DATA.confirm: 0xE1 on task

When I looked for this error, I found this page were this kind of error indicates an interference issue with the Zigbee network. I have put the stick next to the lights but has no success. Only when I plug the Conbee Stick into my Laptop and completely reset a light bulb I can control it over the deconz windows app again. But I’m strangely not able to add reset lights into Zigbee2Mqtt. I have no clue how to debug this kind of problem. Does anybody has an idea how I can recover from this incident?

Best Regards

Did you upgrade to 1.25 version?

If you want to investigate “Interference” in the “Zigbee” network , then think about that it’s using 2.4GHz … same as Wifi (routers & other devices), Bluetooth,Microwave ovens, XBox-controller, surveillance/Baby Cameras/Monitors, Some audio systems use the 2.4 GHz to provide lossless audio quality to speakers throughout a building, Etc. Etc. even a cordless mouse or headset, …so think about it, how many Zigbee devices do you have, wifi devices, etc. etc., where are they “placed” ? Does your Synology use a Wifi connection, are the Zigbee controller close to such devices ? ( Zigbee controller next to a wifi Router ) doomed, … i would move out Conbee stick as far from Synology, and other Wifi/other devices that can disturb the signals there … i guess you overall know what i mean

That doesn’t explain a sudden loss of all functionality.

True … thou somewhere he should start to “think” , is it an “update” is it some other “changes” …did he pissed of his neighbor, so he bought a Jammer :joy: etc

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I’m still using Z2M V1.22.5 - is there any behaviour known that it can’t send any commands before V1.25? I will try it later out.

Nothing has changed in the 2.4GHz network for me. I have moved my router wlan to another channel without any success. Later I will als my neighbour if he has installed anything new.

My house is full of Zigbee devices which can route. I have around my roof Philips Hue Zigbee bulbs which should provide a strong signal for all devices. My Synology is plugged in via LAN and the Conbee is using a USB cable extension.

Another try would be to make the test with the laptop and deconz again and going to the place where my Conbee stick is. When there is an interference then it should not work anymore. I will keep you updated.

I can not believe it. I walked with the laptop and the Conbee stick to the location of the NAS and everything stopped working. When I moved two meters away from it, it worked without any problems!

I’m so happy to found the cause and will investigate what disturbs the signal in this area.

1 Like

Check whether your NAS-units is proper “shielded” , a high-end device such as CPU/and other “circuits” could run at 2.4GHz as-well, or generate “Disturbance” in surrounding 2.4GHz units ( i.e SSD in usb-3.0, can generate noise in 2.4 … etc.)

The setup with the NAS has worked for almost a year without any issues. I assume that another signal has come in and disturbed the Zigbee network.

ok, yes or maybe some “usage” increased lately on your NAS , or direct connected devices at same place