Some basic (very) help needed please

Hi. I’m completely new to all of this.
So far, I have Home Assistant running on my Raspberry Pi and all seems good.

This morning I finally connected the Pi up to a screen and it’s asking for my HassIO login.

Should this be the same as my HassIO login in the Configuration? If so it’s not letting me in. I’m logged into HassIO via Chrome on my Mac though.

After the login times out I’m getting:

Welcome to HassOS
Hassio login: [bunch of numbers] IPV6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link not ready
[bunch of numbers] brcmfmac: power management disabled

I’m trying to get to the yaml file so I can get started but am now totally stuck.

Has HassOS replaced Raspian on my Pi? I’m fine with that but, as I said, very new to all things Pi, HassIO and HassOS.

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Ash

Hi
Hassio on the Pi uses headless mode so if you plug a hdmi lead into the pi it will only show the home assistant logo and it is not a control method. It seem your doing right by logging in via a web browser on another device. Hope i understand what you are asking? good luck on your journey, i can be hard to get stared but boy it’s great when you set it all up.

Thank you for the reply but I’m not seeing the Home Assistant logo and can’t find a way to edit the yaml file.

How do I get to it.

It’ll be one hell of a journey, I’m sure, but very rewarding.

Ok can you see HA overview when you log in via your web browser?
If you can you should see a list on the right hand side you should see a tab called Hass.io?

If you can see this click on it and go to addon store download configurator to access the configuration files via web browser & or samba to access them via your home home/work network.

Yes. I see that.

That all seems to be working fine although if I logout out it just logs me straight back in.

Could you please check my understanding of the following?

1. Pi is currently running HassOS which is why I can’t access the Raspian GUI and navigate to the YAML file.
  2. It’s not possible to edit the YAML file on my Mac, I need to do it on the Pi itself.
  3. I can’t log in to HassIO on the Pi because I’m already logged in on my Mac (and seemingly ca’t log out).

Restarting the Pi takes me straight back (after 3 minutes of boot up) into HassOS.

Many thanks for your help.

I already have Configurator from the addon store and can see the config panel, that;'s where I set my password and username right at the start.

Is the the YAML file?

The Samba share shows this:

{
“workgroup”: “WORKGROUP”,
“name”: “hassio”,
“guest”: true,
“map”: {
“config”: true,
“addons”: true,
“ssl”: false,
“share”: true,
“backup”: true
},
“username”: “”,
“password”: “”,
“interface”: “”,
“allow_hosts”: [
“10.0.0.0/8”,
“172.16.0.0/12”,
“192.168.0.0/16”
]
}

Should I be setting a username a password in here for Samba?

If I follow you, you would edit your yaml on your Mac as I don’t know which route you used to install on your pi. I never touch my pi I do everything from my pc or tablet via a web browser.

Great. That’s what I want to do. How do I get to/ see the Yaml?

I installed HassIO on my Pi just by flashing to the SD card on my Mac and the putting it in the Pi. That all went smoothly.

That is fine for now, you may want to make it more secure later. Personally I would use the configuator to start with as writing yaml is a bit challenging as correct spacing is vital to make it work & it will tell you if your code is formatted correctly.

So editing in the configurator should be the same as the Yaml?

I want to add iOS:, change my location and timezone, add Arlo control panel and start adding sonoff devices.

For example, here it says to add

alarm_control_panel:

• platform: arlo

To the confiiguration.yaml

How/where do I do that?

Installing configurator will give you access to all your yaml files via a web browser so you can edit them.

Sorry cannot show you my configuration file as I might get hacked but this is what it looks like

Do you mean I just add those line to this:

I would add a username & password but be aware you need to keep your json script as it is shown in your picture.

Ah!

I’m not seeing that.

Do you get to that by clicking Open Web UI?

That asks me for a password that I don’t seem to have.

No set that first, save and restart then open ui.

I already set that. I’ve blurred it in the screenshot.

I’m getting a ‘Policy not fulfilled’ message.