Some Insteon devices have stopped responding in HA

Continuing the discussion from Hey Insteon users!:

I have a couple of Insteon devices that all of a sudden I can no longer control via HA. When I toggle the switch in the HA dashboard nothing happens on the device and a second or two later, the switch on the dashboard moves back to the original position it was in. HA also doesn’t update the status of the switch if I adjust it manually on the wall. Since this started happening, I’ve since upgraded HA to the latest version twice, I’ve manually reset the switches and even unplugged the Hub v2 (which I’m using for the integration) and still nothing. These dimmer switches are newer models and have no issues whatsoever and were working with HA before. Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be the issue?

1 Like

I am having the exact same issue, not sure whats going on or how to troubleshoot. Starting to dig in, but wanted to add my “me too”.

1 Like

Since the last couple versions of HA or so have been released, I now have about 8 out of my 40 Insteon devices no longer responding in the Lovelace dashboard. These were working fine in Lovelace before. It’s also not a signal strength issue, I have many dual band devices, a couple of range extenders just for good measure and I literally have situation where out of three dimmers in the same wall box, one of them doesn’t respond in Lovelace. This makes no sense and I’m really starting to think that something changed recently in the HA code. Also in the new Insteon page, I cannot load the ALDB or write updates to these devices either. I hope someone can help to address this issue!

Three HA updates later and still half of my devices are non-functional. I honestly think that something is broken in the Insteon integration here. There is nothing wrong with my devices, my hub, or signal strength. I have reset every single device and it changes nothing. This is completely unusable and there has to be a way to troubleshoot this!

1 Like

I am having exactly the same issue. I tried reboot HA and then reboot Insteon 2245 hub, then the lovelace switch turned grey as opposed to jumping back to it’s original state. Hope there is a solution soon! I am running HA on Synology NAS on docker

Same issue after updating to HA Core 2022.6.2.

Given that many of my other Insteon switches and dimmers are working just fine with HA, I’m wondering if somehow HA has saved an old state that needs to be flushed or reset for the devices that are unresponsive? Resetting the physical device, hub, or rebooting HA has no effect. Is there a way to remove the unresponsive devices from the integration and have HA re-discover them from scratch? I feel like this would help to solve the problem. How can this be done?

Hoping to save some others some frustration as I’ve found a fix to my issue. After reading that the Insteon app was back online, it seems that these same switches were not working properly in HA were not working properly in the app as well. Re-adding them to the Insteon app has resolved the issue in HA. In hindsight I probably should have reset the hub to factory defaults before I started re-doing everything in HA. Must have been some residual data on the hub that was causing an issue.

FYI, prior to the Insteon app going back online, I did try (many times) to reset the physical switch, restart the hub, etc. That didn’t work. There is no easy way to delete a device/entity in HA without deleting references to it in json files, etc. I never tried that. It seems that because I didn’t reset my hub to factory defaults before I integrated with HA and started adding everything there, that is what caused the issue with some of the switches. Must have been some conflicting data in the database on the hub or something like that. I don’t know how adding devices to the Insteon app affects any data stored on the hub itself - you obviously don’t need to have the devices in the Insteon app to add them to HA and control them from there. But that’s what fixed the issue with the switches that were unresponsive in HA - either delete or just re-add them to the Insteon app. Problem solved. Hope this helps others out with the same problem.