Somfy shade doesn't move when called from automation

I am trying to control several Somfy RF shades using an automation triggered by a Lutron keypad button press. The shades receive RF commands from a Bond Bridge v1 which of course is via the Bond HA integration. I have been controlling these shades from an entity card on my dashboard for months with no issues whatsoever.

I’ve also confirmed that calling cover.close, cover.open, or cover.toggle from the developer tool service UI works 100% of the time: the state of the cover changes and the shade moves.

However, when the cover service is called from an automation, the cover state changes (open or closed), but the shade never moves.

Here’s my very simple automation:

- id: '1654607267262'
  alias: Master bath shade toggle
  trigger:
  - platform: event
    event_type: lutron_event
    event_data:
      id: keypad_shades
  condition: []
  action:
  - service: cover.toggle
    target:
      entity_id: cover.master_bath_shade
  mode: single

The Lutron event trigger is working fine and the automation trace shows no problems (nor in the HA log). The logbook reflects the shade opening:

Master Bath Shade was opened triggered by automation Master bath shade toggle triggered by event 'lutron_event'

So everything seems to be working as expected except the shade doesn’t move. The shades are 100% reliable when triggered by the entity card, or manually calling the cover service from the developer UI, or by using “run action” in the automation UI.

I’m running HA Core 2022.6.4 (latest).

Any ideas?

-Jeff

Update: Adding 500 ms of delay prior to calling cover.close() makes this automation work reliably. Anything less than 500 ms results in the shade not moving, and over 500 ms works 100% of the time so far.

Why?

New automation:

alias: Master bath shade toggle
description: ''
trigger:
  - platform: event
    event_type: lutron_event
    event_data:
      id: keypad_shades
condition: []
action:
  - delay:
      hours: 0
      minutes: 0
      seconds: 0
      milliseconds: 500
  - service: cover.toggle
    data: {}
    target:
      entity_id: cover.master_bath_shade
mode: single

Can you provide a little more detail on how you got your Somfy controlled shades integrated into HA?

I have a Somfy Telis 4 RTS Pure Remote. I have read up on the Bond Bridge, but can’t find a YouTube or other detailed article on how to set up integration and what capabilities it has in HA before buying the Bond Bridge. I assume it has Up/Down but what about ‘MY’ positions on the remote?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I have a somfy Awning. When you add a Somfy device this is what it looks like under the Bond Integration. For mine that means I get Open/Close/My.

One note, it is uber expensive (my opinion), but I saw that Bond Pro now does percentage closed/open. The standard Bond is enough for what I use it for, but I saw that as I was considering adding blinds to my Somfy.

Thanks much. So you can go to the MY location as well as Open/Close with the Bond Integration. That’s what I wanted to be sure about. Does it pick up the My location from the Somfy controller or do you have to reset it? I assume the Somfy controller still works with the Bond Integration.

I have 3 Group on the Somfy. Does Bond pick up all 3 (or even all channels in general) when it pairs. Or is it channel by channel pairing?

When I setup my Bond with my awning you basically are following instruction similar to when you set the remote initially. My best guess is that it is emulating another remote, and you are adding it to the group.

I do not have a Somfy controller. I have a remote and an awning. I don’t or can’t even use the Somfy app since I don’t have a controller which is why I bought the Bond cause for $99 it is cheaper than a Somfy controller.

Thanks for the info. I should have my Bond today and will give it a try.

If it is RTS, ESPSomfyRTS is cheap and highly recommendable. It also does percentages. And it can listen for other remotes to see what they do with the blind. You can build it yourself, no soldering required, the instructions are very clear and the developer is very responsive.

I got my Bond up and running on the App. I can move the blinds Open/Closed/My using the App or the Somfy remote.

My problem is I’m not sure how to do automations with it. If I try to create an automation with Call Service Bond, I get options to operate lights, fans and switches…no shades.

Looking around it seems I need to create some covers?

I tried Call Service Cover and see cover:Open, Close etc, but it finds no entities to select.

Any guidance on this next step?

Have you loaded the Bond as an Integration into HA?

Yes it came up automatically. Cover entities did not show up. This morning they did and I was able to use them. Not sure why the delay.

So this problem solved. On to automations and scripts!

Thanks

1 Like